Notices

How many times did it take before you finally quit?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many times did it take before you finally quit?

Just a generalized question that I was thinking about. What event made you finally reach for sobriety? How many tries did it take? I have tried seriously to quit probably about 3 or so times, and I can't count how many times I tried to quit, but didn't really have any heart into it.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did a lot of trying to control drinking before I quit. Didn't really try to stop completely until I ended up in detox
And it is still a one day at a time program for me
Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if any of us have EVER "finally quit".....

(PS - what I mean by this is that sobriety is a constant path. And it seems to be one that can easily be wandered away from if we let down our guard. Perhaps even the idea of "I've FINALLY QUIT" is ironically an open door to relapse?)

Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

(PS - what I mean by this is that sobriety is a constant path. And it seems to be one that can easily be wandered away from if we let down our guard. Perhaps even the idea of "I've FINALLY QUIT" is ironically an open door to relapse?)

Thats a really good point. Its the not drinking that takes more work and effort than the drinking.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

After years of trying this and that, I decided abstinence was best. I think it took me about 100 attempts. So If I can do it anyone can xxxxx
Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by SlickRick07 View Post
Thats a really good point. Its the not drinking that takes more work and effort than the drinking.
Maintaining an alcoholic lifestyle and all that comes with it was the most difficult thing I ever did.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I quit daily for over ten years. I just couldn't stay stopped.

I didn't stay stopped until I ran out of money and the alcohol and drugs weren't working....

Waaaayyyy toooooo many years later!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
After years of trying this and that, I decided abstinence was best. I think it took me about 100 attempts. So If I can do it anyone can xxxxx
Me too! At least 100 serious attempts over 10-15 years. But ya gotta keep trying. The good news is all those 5, 10, 30 day attempts added up to some significant sober time in there. Good for the body and brain to so a little healing and good for reflection time. Thanks to SR though, I am now in my longest period of continuous sobriety (5 1/2 months) in 20 years.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

I tried and failed about 4-6 times a week for more than 20 years. It wasn't until:

I admitted that I was powerless over alcohol: I would reach for the bottle and for the first times in my life I would talk to myself asking why I had to have more alcohol even though I did not want it; and it's affect was not what anyone would expect anymore, I'd drink and drink and not get drunk. Yet despite everything I could not stop.

My life had become unmanageable: I could no longer do the 'normal' stuff, write, drive, get anywhere on time, work once I got there, have social or work relationships. I had an excuse for everything, even peeing on the restroom floor at work.

Despite fighting what I was told when I was SENT to rehab after a visit to a Psychiatrist to find out what was wrong with me(I gave the Doctor a list of 20 problems, #11 was alcohol)an ER detox as I insisted quitting 'cold turkey' before I started Intensive Outpatient Rehab...anyway I was told I could not do it 'alone' and I disagreed, thinking they had a miracle cure to just get me to stop, a pill or therapy..I didn't really know, I just wasn't going to do a 'group thing' or go to AA.

Well, I did what I was told, and decided I might as well do it the VERY BEST I could, I did not want any regrets for not trying my hardest. If it DID NOT work it wasn't going to be because of ME.

The result? I recognize that not only could I not stop by myself, I can't stay sober by myself, and I must take sobriety and a lot of other things in a sober lifestyle One Day At A Time. So I go to AA, come here to SR, go online for meetings, do whatever else I NEED, not necessarily what others think I need. I put my care first above all else, that allows me to take care of the rest of the things that come along, and recognize what I do not need to take care of(is none of MY business) that comes along. But I do a lot of it in fellowship with others because we have something in common and that is HUGE for us all, knowing we're not alone in Sobriety or Recovery.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I entered a program of recovery for the
first time in August 1990. August 11, 1990
was my first full day alcohol free and have
remained sober for 23 yrs. still today continueing
to live and incorporated my program of AA
in my everyday affairs.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Me too! At least 100 serious attempts over 10-15 years. But ya gotta keep trying. The good news is all those 5, 10, 30 day attempts added up to some significant sober time in there. Good for the body and brain to so a little healing and good for reflection time. Thanks to SR though, I am now in my longest period of continuous sobriety (5 1/2 months) in 20 years.
Wow, good on ya!! xx
Old 02-08-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I had to be pretty beat up to give it up. But, I've not relapsed since I joined aa back on 9/3/99
Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I lost count...started trying in 2008...never got more than 1 or 2 months until May of 2012. I have not relapsed or slipped since then.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Me too! At least 100 serious attempts over 10-15 years. But ya gotta keep trying. The good news is all those 5, 10, 30 day attempts added up to some significant sober time in there. Good for the body and brain to so a little healing and good for reflection time.
This.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried to quit at least weekly for 15 years.
For most of that time tho I was really hoping for control and moderation

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

Well, no, I've quit drinking Free Owl lol

Your point about recovery being ongoing is spot on... but I look at my drinking life as the before and my life now as the after.

It was a fundamental change.

D
Old 02-08-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"How many times did it take before you finally quit?"
really not that many times.

"What event made you finally reach for sobriety?"
the insanity of my drinkin was..well.insane. seeing and knowing people close to me die from alcoholism, knowing people close to me kill themselves while drunk, having been responsible for the death of another human-----none of that was enough.
it was the morning after( hopefully) my last drunk. my fiancé( actually, by that time I think she had made the decision she was my ex fiancé) told me what I had done and said the day/night before. although in a blackout the day/night before, I knew it was true( wasn't the 1st time I had that drunk). then told me to get out( that was extremely polite compared to what she truly said).
she meant business and I was crushed. terror, bewilderment, remorse, and regret were runnin wild.
that was 4/23/06. but I didn't quit drinkin. I stopped.
been stopped since.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't count how many times I tried to stop drinking. But I kept trying and finally got it right.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It took me til 26 days ago after 35 years of trying. I pray lest I forget that!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I PRAY lest I FORGET THAT
Old 02-08-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I enjoy hearing all the stories. Gives me some hope.