Notices

How many times did it take before you finally quit?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm on attempt 10 ish right now. Since joining here, IF (And I have admittedly) I relapsed, it was shorter, and I'm getting a lot more sober days in now.

The thing that made me quit drinking wasn't really any certain drinking embarrassment. I normally got blackout drunk and woke up to withdrawal symptoms every day. The defining moment for me was when I looked in the mirror and saw that the guy who weighed 160 pounds just three years ago was up to 240 pounds.

My skin looked horrible (it's getting better), my eyes had big bags under them, my liver and stomach hurt constantly, I had terrible anxiety, and I felt miserable about myself. It was literally one morning after a binge. Not anything significant though.

The body is amazing though. I've lost 15 pounds in about a month, and all the stuff from above is gone or has improved greatly.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlickRick07 View Post
What event made you finally reach for sobriety? How many tries did it take?
Oh and if you're anything like me, the answers to this question would let my brain think it's cool to drink. (ex. "So and so tried x amount of times, so I can drink at least one more time and be fine.")

I did that crap all the time by comparing myself to my dad, friends who got trashed every day, etc. It's a bad idea to have those thoughts. You try your hardest, make a plan, and take it one day at a time.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everyday I tried to stopped for about two yrs. it took driving drunk and almost hitting a young couple crossing the street for me to realize that it was enough!... 3 days later I walked into AA. On the 17th will be 7 months. No revolving door for me I refuse to have that insanity in my life ever again. I also never want to feel a hangover again. Self inflicted pain. ODAT.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I used to quit every day at say, 3 in the morning, when it was just me thinking about what I was doing to myself and everyone around me. I'd take a swig or two to chase those thoughts away if there was stuff available. At the end, I outsmarted AV and would limit myself to buying in small quantities, so sometimes I wouldn't have anything at 3 in the morning and I'd be faced with my demons and insomnia. That was hell. I still suffer insomnia, but it's of a different type. Even when I didn't have anything to calm my 3 am nerves, I always made up for it the next morning or by noon.

I wasn't very serious about quitting though because the dawn of the new day would bring some happiness, meaning the terror of the night and the thoughts swarming around were gone. And then they were gone with more alcohol as the day went on. That said, I did quit successfully for 2 days here and there. IN the fall, I knew it was time. It was wearing on me. I was drinking heavily for about 18 months and moderate to heavy for five, six years beforehand. I could feel health going but I am a hypochondriac. Was also taking more risks, driving drunk and driving the kids away. They knew. Now that scared me because there is no repeating their childhood.

nothing really major happened. just got up one morning and the booze was gone. Usually I'd replenish but I decided that day there would be no replenishing. It is 4 weeks without a drink today (quit on jan 10)> monday it'll be month.

so my answer, I guess, is one.

Scary: I stopped getting hangovers. At the end though, I'd start every morning by throwing up then throwing back a shot or two. By Thanksgiving, I was not eating at all.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I made about three real attempts. The first time I don't recall how long I went but the second time was in 2011. I went for almost a month in May of that year before I relapsed. Finally, on my third try I found this group of great people and have been going strong.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

At least 50 times since 1996.... Things always got worse and i quit when i'd thought i'd reached my 'rock bottom'. Started again and the bottom got lower and lower. Those periods of 'quitting' for 6 weeks to 9 months helped me stay alive but i was still on the 'merry go round'. At the end i stopped and somehow knew that it was the end come what may. All but my life had been drunk away....everything but faith and hope.
Message to those struggling. NEVER give up trying, it is NEVER hopeless.
G
Old 02-09-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Many times over many years. What made me stop was feeling sick all the time. All I did was drink and sleep. I looked like hell, bloated and wheezy because I also smoked like a chimney. I had fat swollen ankles, bad breath and I was bad tempered. I hated my job, my life and myself. I realised it was up to me and had no one else to blame. It was just sheer desperation.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I fully accepted it was over between me and alcohol 3rd sept 2011 ,
On that morning i went from being unable to envisage never having a drink again , to being unable to envisage wanting to have another drink again .

There are frustrations , up's and down's along the way , the obsession was gone in an isntant what more can i say ?

That happened after maybe 10 or 15 years of struggling to keep it in my life and under control in one way or another .

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I spent eight years as an active alcoholic and I'd made a few attempts to moderate my drinking during that time by switching to wine from vodka. Moderation was a big fat fail for me. I quit drinking almost two and a half years ago and I've never relapsed. I take my sobriety very seriously and it's really dear to my heart. I don't take it lightly or for granted, ever vigilant and watchful against my addiction.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I gave AA shot back in '96 and made it four months. I then rationalized that I was not an alcoholic and slowly began drinking with occasional binges. My addiction shifted to work and my career for the next 12 or so years. As I became complacent with my career I found my drinking took on a profound new meaning. The progression quickened and I would rationalize being okay by quitting annually as a cleanse for 21 days each year. Dec 2012 through mid Aug '13 was really bad and out of control. I quit 8/27/13 and I can honestly say I have never put this much effort and emphasis on recovery. I do believe its life or death and if I pickup where I left off then I will not live.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

too many to count...

sober now though.

and i hope 2 stay that way

odat

v