Notices

Need help

Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

Hi,

Today I was sitting on my couch, early in the day, can of beer. Another one within reach. 4 more in the fridge and a bottle of wine which I've started now.

I thought my life was good. Sitting back relaxing, drinking. Then it hit me. I'm not even close to living my dream. I'm moving away from it. And the alcohol is one huge factor in that.

I've never been in trouble because of it, in any way. Or so I thought. I'm in huge trouble, because this addiction is taking my life away.

I got to that realization and started to look for help. I found this place, so I signed up. Honestly, I don't know what to expect.

But after this drinking session, I have to quit. And I'm afraid of that. I don't know what to expect. Can I handle it? I will do it, but I need help on how to approach it.

This is my introduction and request for help. I hope I didn't break any rules here by posting this here this way.

Benedict
Old 02-08-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Benedict!

I found myself existing, instead of living life like I was meant to. Alcohol was in control...I had to take my power back.

I started my day 1 right here..no alcohol, just awesome support to help me with my journey. I've never regretted a single moment!

You can do this!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Benedict. I can relate to your thinking while drinking. Don't we all really know right from wrong? Or in this case what is really holding us back ! The booze for me always would distort the truth. I would never be at my best or time and time again procrastination would set in. Never was I satisfied with anything while drinking. I became quite irritable and had much anxiety. I think reality and the truth is so important for us with our addiction. I often asked myself how could I be afraid or fear quitting booze forever, when it is so bad for me in more ways too hell and back. And that's exactly what would happen. The booze controlled me and most every bad thing I have ever done in my life. Booze is an evil spirit and distorts the truth, to the point that I would treat it as a friend. So here comes the procrastination; knowing I needed to quit, I feared losing my best friend. When in reality, it was my worst enemy. I say this and I say this with conviction. I believe the key that unlocks the door to freedom is "acceptance." I remind myself everyday that I hold that key. I hope you come back and read your post many times. You also have that key inside you, you just need to be willing to accept what is real and what is not real in your life. Do the right thing and you will never regret it. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Goose
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome, have look around and perhaps you can find a plan that suits you for quitting. xxxx
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Goose1 got this bang on.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Benedict!!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, Benedict,

Welcome to SR!

I'm glad you found this wonderful supportive place.

Your post helped me, especially this:

[QUOTE][I thought my life was good. Sitting back relaxing, drinking. Then it hit me. I'm not even close to living my dream. I'm moving away from it. And the alcohol is one huge factor in that./QUOTE]

That really struck a chord with me. This is what has been happening to me.
It takes hard work, but stick around here and read and post, and you will come up with ideas and strategies to handle this commitment to change in your life.

You are on your way!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a great place for support in stopping drinking. With the help of this site I've got over four years sober. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First day today and it isn't as awful as I imagined. Kind of a relief really. I don't need to get out and rush to get something to drink. It felt peaceful, just taking a day in bed, relaxing.

I don't know what's ahead, but I'm determined to stay sober, no matter what.

Thank you for the nice welcome messages!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Benedict, welcome to SR.