Notices

Staying away from social situations, am I weird?

Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying away from social situations, am I weird?

I am an alcoholic early in sobriety (4+ months) and very covetous of my sobriety. This may seem odd, but I don't want to be in any social gatherings, sober or otherwise. I'm afraid it will tempt me to want to use. It feels very stressful right now. I will eventually get around to going out to dinner with friends, etc. but for now,no. I'm not a total hermit, I fill my days with exercising my dog, cooking and online internet courses. I have some interactions with ppl but very limited. Even AA meetings frighten me. I've gone to a bar too many times after meetings.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It will get easier and hopefully you will learn to trust yourself xxxx
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good for you for 4+ months!

Do whatever you need to stay sober. Your post suggests you're introverted. Nothing wrong with that, except it also seems it's to the point that you think it isn't healthy. Like you'd prefer to be less introverted - at least at some point, maybe in the future.

Is there an online course for learning social tips/techniques that might help you feel more comfortable around crowds? I've never looked, but I'd be surprised if there isn't.

Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Speaking from experience, I think it's fine to keep away from situations you feel might jeopardize your sobriety, especially when it's so early in your journey. I didn't go to parties, happy hours, after-work gatherings even holiday events at the beginning because I was just too afraid that I'd be tempted for a drink. Eventually, though, as you get stronger and the AV gets pushed away into a smaller and smaller corner, you'l find the strength to do some of the things you once enjoyed doing, only this time, without alcohol. I still avoid "happy hours", because they are centered only around drinking, but parties, dinners, etc., I'm good with and enjoy. Take your time. It's your journey. You'll know when it's right to start acting social again.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think it's strange at all. You know yourself better than anyone and you know it's a good time to be cautious. After about 8 months sober I'm still staying in more than I used to but I'm slowly coming out of my shell. In reality, when I was using, I'd go out to places I'd never "normally" go. I just went out so I could find drugs and to drink. Reforming a healthy life takes time I think.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Kissimee54

What you're doing is not weird at all! You're doing whatever it takes to ensure that you remain sober.

Congrats on your time!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations, 4 months is really great. Not weird at all. Imo you are going with your instincts to keep sober, trust yourself.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it is great that you are doing whatever works for you to stay sober!! I spend a lot of time at home too....nothing wrong with that. I have slightly over a year and do not have a large number of social things I participate in. It depends on how much I trust myself that day. I'm learning when I feel strong and when I know I could be setting myself up for a relapse. Stay strong!!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think it's strange at all. Why put yourself in a situation of having to make an active choice so soon? I'd rather stay far away from temptation for the time being. I'm not sure I could say no if it was right in my face and the socially accepted behavior is to join in.

Also, if you say "No! Thanks." Then there will be all the questions.