Notices

is this common

Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is this common

Hello, I just wanted to ask other addicts. It it common for addicts to break up with their significant others after a few months of sobriety. I dated my bf for 6 years and both times he was clean for about 8 to 9 months he broke up with me saying he needed to work on his recovery and that he didn't love me anymore. i just want to know does this happen a lot and have many of you done it. I know you're not suppose to start a new relationship within a year of your recovery.

Also, I just feel he was using off and on the whole time and both times he might of finally staretd truly feeling and i don't know if he just couldn't handle all the feelings he was having. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome graceandbeauty0

I'm not sure how common it is but it does seem to be a regular topic here.

I was drinking in most of my relationships, not recovered, and I was never the instigator in break ups so I'm not sure I have any experience to offer.

I'm glad you've found the Family and Friends forums as well, though, you'll find a lot of support down there too

D
Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Unfortunately, it does seem to happen. I have ended relationships after getting sober, thinking it would be better for my recovery. Sorry xxxx
Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did most of the damage to my relationships while I was an active alcoholic. But I understand that when some people get sober they often feel the need to "start over" with work, health, and relationships. I'm sure the good folks at F&F will have some kind and helpful words!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was a teenager I was hooked on meth. I had an overdose at 18,I'm 38 now.But back then my GF was also addicted to that stuff.I told her that she would have to quit 2,in order for us to stay together.But she never seriously put in an effort,so I broke up with her had 2 kids & grew up.The physical withdrawal from meth took right at 12 months & then the mental withdrawal took another 12 months to totally withdrawal. 24 months in absolute total.But I did it.I'm now recovering from alcohol & am doing fine! Try to stay busy & stay strong!