Notices

Dying from a heroin overdose is NOT a tragedy.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Dying from a heroin overdose is NOT a tragedy.

I have an acquaintance that posted on FB -

"Dying from a heroin overdose is not a "tragedy". Dying in a respectable manner is.

I am spitting nickels right now and needing to be talked off the ledge from going buck wild on this self righteous little brat.

Thoughts ?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dying from a heroin overdose is a horrible tragedy. It is just as horrible a tragedy no matter who it is whether famous actor or someone no known to the public. It is just as horrible a tragedy as any other tragedy that cuts short someone's life, and you can tell your 'friend' I said so....and then perhaps 'unfriend' him.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's always going to be people who lose sight of the fact we're taking about human beings AO.

I can only change myself, not someone else.

Do yourself a favour and block/hide her.

D
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it's simply an indication of ignorance. Many, many people don't understand addiction. In fact, unless one has lived it themselves, lived closely with a loved one who has, or works with addiction and studies it firsthand - I doubt they CAN understand it.

You may be able to offer another perspective.... or you may be best simply taking a deep breath and saying the serenity prayer.

Other people's opinions generally tend to fall into the "things I cannot change" category.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Yep. I saw some awful comments on FB when PHS died too. It really pissed me off - but I didn't want to out myself so I let them go...later someone said something about addiction being a disease and I "liked" to comment. That's as far as I was willing to go on that one.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Dying from a heroin overdose is a horrible tragedy. It is just as horrible a tragedy no matter who it is whether famous actor or someone no known to the public. It is just as horrible a tragedy as any other tragedy that cuts short someone's life, and you can tell your 'friend' I said so....and then perhaps 'unfriend' him.
I agree.

Death befalling a relatively young person before their time, who leaves behind a loving family and friends and had much to offer the world is certainly a tragic thing. Regardless the cause.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

But anyone who would right that acutlly may have made a freudian slip and meant it the other way because it makes no sense. Of course its a tragedy to die from a heroin overdose and is not a tragedy to die in a respectful manner.
The person who wrote that is fantasising, maybe to themselves, about justifying a suicidal ideation they are having. Its more like a call for help. Maybe a PM to that person like, "Mate, what are you talking about? That makes no sense at all!"
Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't give this 'acquaintance' another thought. Be rid of him.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
orangutan

I have lost friends to heroin and I say it is a tragedy , it's usually a young life lost and to see the effect it has on family members can be described as nothing less.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
p***enger

AO, don't waste the thought on this person -- they didn't waste a thought on anyone, did they? They're probably out now kicking wounded puppies.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a delusional person. One most of us here definitely don't need.

Big hug for you AO.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Too late.

I already started with him.

Dems is fighting words. Especially to someone whose sister died from an accidental overdose.

I'm going HAM all over his 22 year old, holier than thou behind.

He messed with the WRONG addict.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He's only 22? Sheesh, I wish I could go back to the those good old days when I had it all figured out. LOL It's possible to educate such a young, immature thing rather than go off on him. Try to enlighten him rather than thump his head.

love from Lenina
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't hurt yourself.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't let it mess up your head. People who talk the way this guy did have a habit of learning some humility the hard way. Doubtless life will deal that hand as it so often did to me when i was inclined to grandiosity and ill informed stupidity.
Life will educate him in due course.............
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

If someone dies from a heart attack there will be some people who say they should have taken better care of themselves. It is just how it is. Nobody deserves to die over a cheeseburger or dope. It happens and there will always be at least one butthead getting on his soapbox.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd go one step further than saying ignore the person, ignore FaceBook completely. I started out of FB many years ago as it was used pretty heavily in higher education where I work.

I quickly found out though that via my personal FB page, the vast majority of what you see is merely a vanity contest and mostly just a colossal waste of one's time. For all intents and purposes, it's the bathroom stall wall of the internet.

I deleted my account completely about 3 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Too late.

I already started with him.

Dems is fighting words. Especially to someone whose sister died from an accidental overdose.

I'm going HAM all over his 22 year old, holier than thou behind.

He messed with the WRONG addict.
You are wasting your time. You won't "win" anything and most likely you'll just come away from this battle hurt or confused. I'd recommend taking the high road while you can and just quit communications completely.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

1. it's FACEBOOK
2. it's a punk kid

why on earth would you let something posted on FB wreck your day?

just block them and move on. you're wasting a lot of energy for nothing.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Most people will meet reality at some point – few people can live in a self righteous illusion all their lives.

You know this is wrong alpha – it is not the truth.

You can probably not change his views by debate, if I would comment on such a statement I would just say that I see at as very tragic when people get lost and die in addiction.