Notices

Does anyone in recovery see better workout results?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone in recovery see better workout results?

Is anyone in recovery who regularly works out seeing new results? I have exercised regularly throughout my addiction. I do Jillian Michaels DVDs, Insanity, and run, but since my addiction progressed to a 3-5 day a week habit some 7 years ago, I've remained 30-50 lbs overweight. I used intense exercise as a way to fast forward through my hangovers. Exercising to improve health is a new concept for me! Has anyone seen different results doing the same routines they used as drinkers?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been doing strength training for my entire life (I'm a martial arts instructor), and I noticed that I became much stronger and capable of more strenuous, high-intensity workouts after only a couple of months sober. I had reached a plateau that I couldn't get over for years. So yes, being in recovery benefits me substantially!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a fitness fanatic to some degree and I think my endurance and energy have improved. It certainly doesn't hurt to workout and NOT be hungover.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work out 3-4 times a week.

Yes, I have seen astronomical improvement. I regularly bench press 114% of my body weight, run 3-6 miles a week, cycle 10-20 miles per week and have read 26 books over the last twelve months alone. I got up a few days ago bright and early and was in the gym by 5:30am.

It really is like comparing night to day.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh for sure! I started walking again a couple months ago when I was still drinking because it helped with anxiety. I would only make it a mile until I was weak and out of breath.
As I racked up more sober days, I noticed I wasn't getting out of breath anymore. Also when I was hungover I would get little heart palpitations when I was exerted, now that does not happen.
After a couple weeks I noticed walking wasn't working me out anymore and I started to shuffle jog, then jog.
A month into sobriety and I jogged a 5K a couple days ago, never in a MILLION years could I have accomplished that hungover. I literally would've passed out.
Quitting was the best thing ever for my fitness!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes. way, WAY better.

After 5 months sobriety I was in the hands-down best shape of my life, had shed weight, built muscle, increased my endurance tremendously and felt absolutely fantastic.

So... it's a real shocker that I decided "oh hell, I've got this!" and went back to drinking for a year and a half.

During that time I undermined my endurance horribly, gained about 20 lbs and lost a lot of strength and muscle.

I'm now back at 41 days and starting to feel my workouts improving, have lost about 8 lbs, endurance is gradually growing....

Without question; alcohol impairs your energy, strength, nutrition, exercise-recovery, all of it.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I see results much faster without alcohol in the picture. My workout routine hasn't changed much since quitting, but in as little as a week I started noticing more endurance, and quicker recovery.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the other thing is; I work out a lot more consistently, often and harder when I'm not drinking. Hangovers, drinking sessions, making up for lost time when drunk to catch up on all the other stuff you're behind on instead of hitting the gym....
Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
the other thing is; I work out a lot more consistently, often and harder when I'm not drinking. Hangovers, drinking sessions, making up for lost time when drunk to catch up on all the other stuff you're behind on instead of hitting the gym....
Exactly! Not to mention (for me anyway) that I tend to eat healthier when I don't drink (no late night Burger King trips), not to mention those countless days I woke up too hung over to eat anything, so I'd lose whatever gains I've made in the gym, plus some. It was a vicious cycle.