Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

7th , 8th & 9th of feb 2014 weekend thread let's all muddle through till monday :0)

Notices

7th , 8th & 9th of feb 2014 weekend thread let's all muddle through till monday :0)

Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Smile 7th , 8th & 9th of feb 2014 weekend thread let's all muddle through till monday :0)

Hey Everyone ,
well another week, another dollar .

Gave in my notice at my old job and within 3 days had an e-mail with a job offer and a contract to sign from another firm with a £5000 a year pay rise . The very next day they are on the telephone pestering me as to if i've signed … LoL …

Keep sober and you never know what opportunities will arise , drink and drugs is playing at life with loaded dice weighed in the houses favour against you .

Sobriety is sometimes hard , sometimes easy … or maybe thats just life ? Certainly there are healthier ways to deal with it all , thanks to all of those here who help light the way

So it the weekend *ring ring* the first bell is the bell of mindfulness , what are you doing now ? what choices are you making ? what are you thinking and why ?
the second bell is the freedom bell and i'm ringing out loud and clear for you today , sober life is glorious come and join me

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on board Mecanix. Congrats on the new job. I'm starting a new job on Monday. More money, better benefits and some familiar faces Looking forward to a relaxing, sober weekend in preparation!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you both! I'm in for a sober weekend too
Old 02-07-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Lizella. Have a good one
Old 02-07-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes I wish I had something fabulous to post about what I'm doing this weekend...no fabulous plans here. Maybe that is good. At times it isn't the drinking thoughts that creep in to my mind but the thoughts about drama and chaos....they were my drinking companions. I believe I will give some thought to doing something fabulous without my old friends
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am IN!

I have today off work. Gonna go ride my bike (inside, on a trainer) in a few minutes. Then I have an appointment with the taxprepman later this morning. Appt with CBT doc at 4 pm. In between I am planning to design a book stand for my bike trainer setup so I can more easily read while pedaling.

Then...I have to start the study process for the CFP exam in March. (Not looking forward to that, but I have quite a lot of time and money invested, so I am GOING to pass that dang exam!)

Oh - and I will be doing all of that SOBER.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Mecanix, congrats on the new job! And a raise to boot, that's great! Your words "stay sober and opportunities will arise" ring true.

I have similar news to yours - I was contacted by my CEO on Wednesday about taking on a new role and promotion as our business expands this Spring. I am pretty excited.

This weekend I am working on some travel plans and my small side business (more of a hobby) that keeps me busy and a couple extra dollars/euros in my pocket. Sobriety sure is grand
Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Soberclover , you have decided to join us in a having a sober weekend , that is THE most FAB news i recon .

Putting yourself first , treating your body right Glorious life is there to support you …

What i posted up there might sound like it just happened but it is the culmination of 2 1/2 years sober hard work and a lot of weekends and hours of nothing much happening at all .

The more sober time i put in though, the more i seem to be doing those things that are important to me and suit my talents …
Keep on walking the sober path wherever it leads

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new job offer Mecanix and the new job Nightswimming. SC thank you for your comment because I think it nails it for a lot of people. No drama or chaos and I am left thinking "is this it?" because sobriety sometimes seems dull and feeling dull leads me to bad choices. I would rather be dull than to seek the drunkenness as it is false. The other feeling is life as life is and I am coming to enjoy it as I learn how to enjoy it again without alcohol.

Meanwhile, I took the day off at my son's insistence to take him to the Lego Movie which opened today at midnight. Don't know what parents will take their kids to a midnight showing but I am sure some did. We will go to the late afternoon show. I will go to a meeting and do some housework while kids in school.

Happy sober Friday!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey! Late start for the kenster... Took off from work to get a bunch of things done I can't do on weekends. And energized!

Congrats M on the move upward! And thanks for kicking us off today.

Let me run and get things done!

Ha!

I'm a poet and didn't know it!

*sheesh*

K
Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in.

Lots to do at work today, then, my boys are having friends over and will be off to see the Lego Movie.

I remember all of the "wasted weekends" of my drinking days. Couldn't wait to get home on Fridays to start consuming . . . next thing you know, it was Monday morning, and I was wondering where the time went (nothing accomplished, feeling tired/unhealthy/guilty/edgy). I love my weekends so much now--take pride in caring for my family/home/self/work responsibilities. Love that I can drive anywhere I want at any time (ice cream run at midnight, anyone?), talk on the phone without worrying about slurring, interact with my boys without reeking of beer, etc.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend #5.

Big plans include putting new washers in the kitchen faucet and refilling the bird feeders.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ah, Cathryn. All the things that we can do sober. "And we shall know a new freedom." All those little things I forget, like not worrying about smelling like alcohol.

The Lego Movie again. My son has been talking about it for two months now. It is PG13. My son is 8. I'm left wondering what the "inappropriate content is." And hoping most of whatever it is goes over his head.

Big sombrero, another fellow Chicagoan up on this horrifically cold morning. They just seem to get colder and colder with no respite. Congrats on the job move.

I have to get the kids up or they will be late. Son up until midnight despite all my "get in bed!!!" Ugh and I hope he stays awake. He has chronic issues of not sleeping.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you, Ruby -

This winter has been absolutely ridiculous, hasn't it? I don't complain much about weather (though I complain about other things plenty), but seriously I can't remember a more terrible stretch. We're coming up on 2 straight months of pure misery here in Chicago! On the plus side, the tourist attractions are absolutely empty - might be a good weekend for a Field Museum or Art Institute visit, something like that! As you can see from my avatar photo, I had Cloud Gate all to myself last Sunday Hope you stay warm this weekend and carry on!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

..Boing..I'm in Looking forward to a weekend of relaxation and loads of tea Xx
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudging the Road

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post

So it the weekend *ring ring* the first bell is the bell of mindfulness , what are you doing now ? what choices are you making ? what are you thinking and why ?
the second bell is the freedom bell and i'm ringing out loud and clear for you today , sober life is glorious come and join me
I am now beginning my Friday, I've done my prayerrs and meditations and am slurping another coffa cuppee.

My choices are, hmmm... to not drink, at least for today. That's all for now, to choose from.

I am thinking about a job interview I had yesterday. Why? It went well. When I spoke with him earlier this week by phone, he seemed to be trying to sell me on the job. Yesterday he implied my being hired is almost a done deal. I should hear from him today. Won't be convinced I'm working again until I get that call...

Sure, I'll join you! Sobriety is great!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in too. I don't have any plans, as of yet. I'm trying desperately to think of things to fill the time with. There's always housework, but that's no fun.

Happy Friday!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

please get me through another weekend..I need it.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ring! Ring! I'm in for the weekend. Like Nonsensical I will be riding my bike today on my trainer and then getting together with a group to ride inside on Sunday. Snowshoeing tomorrow considering the snow is plentiful and wonderful. Lots go domestic duties to get through and then, a little R&R will be in the house!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in. I'm sick of this struggle, and I'm angry at myself for dropping the ball last Friday night. How am I going to get through this weekend!