Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

7th , 8th & 9th of feb 2014 weekend thread let's all muddle through till monday :0)

Notices

7th , 8th & 9th of feb 2014 weekend thread let's all muddle through till monday :0)

Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I need a sober weekend. On day 6 now but weekends have proven to be tough for me lately. Twice now I have made it all weekend and then drank on Sunday night with my excuse being that I dreaded the workweek so much. My job is stressful and I must maintain a certain 'image' which gets to be tiring after a while. I kind I feel like I'm not being myself and it makes me wish for a different career. But right now I have to pay my bills and support my kids so I have no choice.
Maine sounds beautiful. I'm from the northeast but live in florida and hate the climate. I know it's been a rough winter for many of you but Id take that over living here any day.
My plan this weekend is exercise, clean, spend time with my kids and try to relax. Ugh.. My emotions are all over so I know it won't be easy.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Weasle - you're way ahead of me today. My best days are when I'm commuting, I can hit 10000 steps and about 10 staircases going back and forth. On the weekends not so much but going to try today between house stuff and dog walking. I have used the sleep monitor. Took a bit to get it right. It says I have a 95% sleep efficiency! I'd love to know what it was when I was drinking, probably like 30%. Fitbit does motivate me to walk, I love when it buzzes at 10000 steps, then I can have a cookie (not!).
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife - I could have written your post and really feel for you. Most of my working life I've felt terrible anxiety like I was on a treadmill I couldn't get off. Sundays were the worst. Now I know how much my drinking contributed to this feeling. It's so hard to deal with anything when you feel like s*** all the time! which was how I felt though I was in denial. If your anxiety and stress is really debilitating you should see someone about it. Drinking is the worse way to try and cope. You can feel better!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Tiptree I was buying some new clothes when it buzzed like crazy.... I started laughing out loud in the store. Good feeling. Drunk I probably walked 10000 steps a day. Two to the side and one forward!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Tiptree I was buying some new clothes when it buzzed like crazy.... I started laughing out loud in the store. Good feeling. Drunk I probably walked 10000 steps a day. Two to the side and one forward!!!!!!
ha ha you and me both!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

Olive.... I was getting up thinking of what I want to cook and chicken soup came to mind. Gonna make my stock a little later. You put anything past the chicken and mirepoix?

Start with the typical mirepoix and chicken, let cook for a while. I usually put a little extra chicken stock in, but I ran out last time, so this time I poached the chicken for a while, then took all the meat off the bones and put the bones back in and cooked it down for a few hours. I usually like to make the stock from roasted chicken bones, but I didn't get this one out of the freezer in time.
Later I will add whatever is in the fridge. Today it is potatoes, asparagus and more carrots.
It starts out such a big pot, but ends up being just enough to last me the week......no need for freezing.
I also just finished making a batch of oatmeal and raisin cookies and a batch of fig newtons.
Now maybe I will watch a little Olympics, or something on the Netflix.
I watched 'Blackfish' last night. Crazy sad and horrifying and frustrating.
Must watch something lighter today.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful, sober Saturday!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Sounds great Olive. Nothing good as home made stock.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

10:30 pm here in the uk ,

had some southern style chicken , the idea is always better than the eating . should have stuck to the original idea of some steak …

Family guy in a bit

Nighty night , m
Old 02-08-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks olive! I am making roasted potato and leek soup tomorrow morning. Can't wait. I diverted from the chicken but will keep your method in mind.

As for dinner... Hmmm

Flank steak trio... A third each made... Cranberry honey mustard glaze... Soy, vinegar, garlic.... Italian seasoning, sun dried tomoates, and parmasian cheese on a bed of arugula with a wild rice. Was damn tasty.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I need a sober weekend. On day 6 now but weekends have proven to be tough for me lately. Twice now I have made it all weekend and then drank on Sunday night with my excuse being that I dreaded the workweek so much. My job is stressful and I must maintain a certain 'image' which gets to be tiring after a while. I kind I feel like I'm not being myself and it makes me wish for a different career. But right now I have to pay my bills and support my kids so I have no choice. Maine sounds beautiful. I'm from the northeast but live in florida and hate the climate. I know it's been a rough winter for many of you but Id take that over living here any day. My plan this weekend is exercise, clean, spend time with my kids and try to relax. Ugh.. My emotions are all over so I know it won't be easy.
Oh I am right there with you! I'm on day 6 too and I've screwed up every weekend this year so far. It's tough! Right now is when I'm usually getting ready to have my first beer and I do feel restless. Waiting for my husband to get home so we can go to the gym. Ugh! I have never been so ready for Monday in my life! Lol
Old 02-08-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Despite cooking and trying to divert emotions I am sitting in the movie theater down the street from home. It was either this ... sleep... or drink. I already napped today. So? See you all sober in two hours. If I can find a way alone on a Saturday you can. It sucks but really try.

K
Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thank you Brit and tiptree, it's so comforting to know I'm not alone in feeling like this. I complain about being busy all week, but once I get some downtime, it's harder not to drink. Picking up my daughter at 10pm tonight from the movies so I am in the clear now. Feels so good to be clearheaded !
Old 02-08-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey Weasel - hope the movie was entertaining. I'm watching Dallas Buyers Club tonight on demand.

You're welcome FABLife. Congrats on 6 days
Old 02-08-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Going to watch the Olympics tonight.
I never left the house today. I'm becoming quite the recluse.
Tried hard to make things happen and drum up some business... (Hah, pun).
I feel good about not drinking, not too good about much else.
I have a gig scheduled tomorrow, but there is snow in the forecast again.
I don't have very high hopes for it.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I use sleep as a tool to get through weekends. I have not been up at this time in months for a Saturday. Hmmm... What shall I watch on the telly (British speak for TV) .... Oh never mind.... Nothing's on. *sigh*

K
Old 02-08-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife, I had Sunday trouble too. I don't know if you can but I found a Sunday night women's AA meeting. That helps me. I also find down time dangerous. I have almost three months and I still keep almost maniacally busy on weekends just so I don't drink. It has gotten better the longer I have stayed sober though. I have done a lot of cleaning and cooking.

So I spent almost three hours cleaning out my daughter's bedroom this morning/afternoon. Too many toys, books and clothes. I actually took a nap. I never take naps because I usually wake with a headache. Didn't cook today. The chicken soup sounds good. I am thinking about a menu for the week. I went to a speaker meeting tonight. Meh. I arrived home to the overwhelming smell of chlorine bleach spilled all over the kitchen floor.

Somehow it had spilled. My husband was cleaning it up. Ugh. Not exactly the way I envisioned washing the kitchen floor but at least it is sanitized.

Time to wrap it up for the night. Hang in there everyone. And anyone missing snow, I will send some to you. We are running out of places to put it. Two or more inches again today.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Winding down here in day 5 - Productive day here at home....nice walk against the wind (aahhh the wind in my hair)...helped my oldest load the moving truck for their big move tomorrow...have my darling Grandson early in the am & plan on having the dinosaurs out waiting for him. Night All
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Had a nice evening-made dinner, watched the Olympics and played and laughed with my daughter. In bed now sober and it definitely feels weird. First Saturday sober in a long time! Looking forward to day 7 tomorrow! Night everyone
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

8am on Sunday here. Made myself the most amazing smoothie for breakfast. It's a "peanut butter and jelly smoothie recipe" I got off the internet. It has spinach, milk, bananas, grapes and peanut butter in it. I'm definitely having it again - I think it's going to change my life, lol!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Brit789... Yes it does feel weird. I still get very uncomfortable in the evenings when I would always... And I mean always be drunk. Soberclover here calls it squiurley and I think that fits.

But share how you feel this morning?

Good morning everyone!