Notices

Virgin Cocktails?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love bloody mary's. Ill often drink them without the vodka. I like em Dirty with the olive juice, olives, and tabasco. I've tried them made with horse radish but prefer the tabasco.

Ever hear people who say they have recovered from Alcoholism or addictions? I believe some can really recover. Seems through working the 12 steps they gained power and were no longer powerless over alcohol. They showed no fear of booze. it was but a thing, that would not enter their bodies unless they made the conscious decision to drink it. I do think they did seem like they really had recovered from a hopeless disease.

Last edited by marchHazel; 02-07-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
BRD

Originally Posted by dogged14 View Post
Non-alcoholic beer has approximately the same alcohol content (very slightly less) as Bud Light... So that would be a good reason as to why it didn't work.

That's not true. Bud light has a BAC of 4.2%. O'Douls has a BAC of less than .5% so it would take at least nine O'Douls to get as much alcohol as one Bud light.

Realbeer.com: Beer Alcohol Content And Carbs In Beer

Now I don't buy NA beer since that can be a trigger for me and its tempting for me. However at a superbowl meetup at a sports I did have two NA beers during the game. Afterwards though I realize that for me it was a bad idea to be at the bar. The environment just isn't healthy to me.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

some love to play with fire

Originally Posted by Freshperspective14 View Post

Is this a poor decision on my part?
from what I've seen and know about recovery
let's make a wild guess here

proxy 95 % of those in recovery would say that to be a poor decision

some can push the odds and stay sober
yet
others will fail fast due to yet another episode with self deception

Mountainman
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

NA Beer has negligible alcohol. Something like 6-8 NAs = 1 beer. NA beer has been helpful to me in certain situations in my first 3 weeks. I suspect after some time I will find more than one of these heavy and blah, which the alcohol masks in real beer. Anyone have similar experience?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm just on day 1 so I'm not an expert. But I see a strong difference between virgin and alcoholic drinks. They're two totally different things.

Anything non-alcoholic is fine by me. Unless it's a trigger for you, enjoy any non-alcoholic drink. I'm lucky. My absolute favorite thing to drink is water. I love it.

I suppose that as long as it's non-alcoholic and not unhealthy, it's ok.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I stay away from NA beers. I think that would be a bad road for me, being as beer was my favorite alcohol.

I am drinking Energy Drinks mixed with Club Soda as my mocktail of choice. I never really drank mixed drinks so I don't find it a trigger. Sure I drank hard liquor, but it was always a shot or two, or three, while drinking beer. I find I enjoy the flavor, gives me a reason to use those expensive pint glasses I purchased
Old 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

NA beer led to a relapse for me a few years ago. It was summer, and I missed driving around the countryside and drinking beer. So I got a big case of NA beer, and drank it, and chucked the cans out the window while I was driving, just like old times.

Alas, it only took a week or so before I'd progressed to real beer, then vodka, then rolled my truck.