Notices

Depression

Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mr B

Depression

As anyone gone through depression while slobbering up! I've been sober for 64 days now and it seems like I find myself sad a lot for no reason why! Like now I just have this since of sadness as I'm typing this out and no rhyme or reason to as why!!!!!

Just sucks because I've been so happy lately that I've been doing so well and reading, journaling, aa meetings, treatment and much more to it slowly feeling like I don't want to do it anymore! Deep down I know this is what I want and need to stick with it!!!

Any advise anyone???
Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbj4190 View Post
As anyone gone through depression while slobbering up! I've been sober for 64 days now and it seems like I find myself sad a lot for no reason why! Like now I just have this since of sadness as I'm typing this out and no rhyme or reason to as why!!!!!

Just sucks because I've been so happy lately that I've been doing so well and reading, journaling, aa meetings, treatment and much more to it slowly feeling like I don't want to do it anymore! Deep down I know this is what I want and need to stick with it!!!

Any advise anyone???
Well how long have you been feeling like this? You know downs are normal part of life. good news is you will pass through it. I know what it feels like, and just look for some film or something, some articles, wait till it passes, take a multivitamin, drink a few glasses of water, it will pass.

What I mean is, consider it as a physiological response. Dont look into the black thoughts it might be tempting you to enter. Think about it as something to treat like a physical condition.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mr B

It's been like this since Saturday!! Good thing I see my psychologist today maybe she can also shed some light on this as well! Just sucks as I was so happy then all of sudden it came over me!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very normal dbj - drinking was a large part of most of our lives - many of us 'mourn' it's loss.

Glad you're seeing your psychologist tho

D
Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, the depression hit me the day after I drank too much.

When I am Sad - YouTube

This little video helped me.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's pretty normal to experience a bit of depression when we get sober. Our brains have to adapt to not drinking and it takes a little time. Emotions can be kind of up and down for a bit.

Try to be kind to yourself. Do things to make yourself feel better. Make a cup of tea, post here on SR, take a walk, read a book or watch a movie or whatever else you enjoy.

Maybe read a bit about PAWS if you haven't. This article really helped me understand what I was facing. Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Since I stopped drinking, business has slowed to almost a stop.
Phone's not ringing, weather is horrible, etc.
I'm just trying to hold on until spring.
What a time to get sober... but, I gotta be better off this way...
Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Although I have only been sober for 6 weeks, I feel that initially I was on a bit of a high because I was not drinking and not suffering from the physical abuse of the hangovers, etc. I was feeling great mentally because I was able to stay sober and away from the drink. But then, one day arrived and it seemed as if some of the newness was wearing off and my entire system was just off. I was physically and mentally drained. But then I thought about it...I've been drinking for the past 30 years and my poor body and brain are going to need some time to adjust to their new life. New coping skills will have to be learned. Good thing to remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. We are going to have good days and we are going to have bad days, it's an adjustment.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know about depression, but I can attest to big swings in mood. I'm around 2 months sober and still hitting some pretty big ups and downs. I say ride em' out. All the vets say it'll get better, and I belive them. And, hey, it's way better than the depression due to alchohol-this I know I had, bigtime.
Hang in there. Glad you're getting some help with how you're feeling.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you'll be seeing a professional. Be sure to mention your depression. Might be some help out there for you. You could be experiencing PAWS. Mood swings are a symptom of that.