Notices

I volunteered for a service position

Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I volunteered for a service position

Someone in AA asked if someone could make the coffee for our Thursday morning meeting and I volunteered to do it. I know that this will keep me showing up at the meeting. I struggle with the higher power thing in AA and someone else in the meeting said that making coffee got him to accept his higher power. I have no clue what that means but I am willing to try to see if that helps me too.

Anyway, it is an interesting journey.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

dont worry about Higher Power today.
Just go to meetings. Thaats all.

Your Higher Power will nudge you later
Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whiskeyman, I hope I get that nudge soon!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you....I always found that getting involved that way helped me a lot.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I made coffee for a while...then changed to librarian....helped big time!!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

The whole higher power thing is a paradox.

Lets say your walking down the street near a building site and a chain saw is dropped by accident and narrowly misses you. The first thing that would probably come out of your mouth after some obsence language would be "Thank God" or whatever your religion may be.

Now lets say your walking down the same street near a building site and a chain saw is dropped accidentally and is saws off your right arm. You might say to others, "Its just life", "God has a plan", I bet you don't say "F--K God".

We are biased. Now as an Alcoholic, I work of the same principle. I will not be thanking my higher power, when he could of given me powers not to be an alcoholic.

Recovery should be secular (without belief), we should just believe in ourselves and hold ourselves responsible. Instead of rushing to the defence of deities.

Get involved in the AA because you want to, because it helps your recovery.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Autan,

Interesting response and it gives me a lot to think about. I am essentially an agnostic. I don't begin to understand the higher power aspect of AA and I can see the paradox. But when I go to those meetings and I see all the people with long term sobriety, something I haven't had, I know I want what they have. And if it takes me trying to come to terms with the fact that I can't control everything that happens in life, I am willing to be open minded. So far no one has said I have to believe in a specific deity. Just to believe that there is something bigger than I am. I do believe I am responsible for myself and my drinking. But I really need help stopping because I have not been able to do it through my own self will. I envy those who can, I am not one of them.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by 2bhappier View Post
Hi Autan,

Interesting response and it gives me a lot to think about. I am essentially an agnostic. I don't begin to understand the higher power aspect of AA and I can see the paradox. But when I go to those meetings and I see all the people with long term sobriety, something I haven't had, I know I want what they have. And if it takes me trying to come to terms with the fact that I can't control everything that happens in life, I am willing to be open minded. So far no one has said I have to believe in a specific deity. Just to believe that there is something bigger than I am. I do believe I am responsible for myself and my drinking. But I really need help stopping because I have not been able to do it through my own self will. I envy those who can, I am not one of them.
I think the message they are trying to convey, is this:

"You cannot control everything in your life, its impossible".

Now some would tell you, offer your problems to a higher power and to give you the strength to stop drinking.

Where as a fellow agnostic, I would say:

"Dont try to control everything, just believe in yourself and do what you can".

How many people in real need have continued to drink, because of the religious elements in AA.

Believe only in what you can manage to do for yourself.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

2b, I'm so proud of you. I see daily growth with you every day, since you've been here.

I think a lot of us find a way to tap into our higher power, and when it does, grab hold of it with both hands

You might find your higher power outside with nature, while you take care of all the animals you have. Nature in general, that's where mine is.

I'm betting you talk to your animals while you take care of them. Hmmm maybe have a little chat with what you believe your higher power is, learn to OPEN yourself up to that. It's there for all of us.

I have a huge smile. You're doing so good.

Keep up the great job.

I'm still smiling lol

Hugs
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

2b -
That sounds like a great idea. The service and the higher power.
For me believing in myself just ain't gonna do it. I've always believed in myself and that was the problem. Ha!
Different strokes for different folks.
So, give it a try and I hope it works out.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great. I don't go to AA but I know when I do stuff to help others and some volunteer work it really helps me feel better about myself too as well as helping others
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autan View Post
Now some would tell you, offer your problems to a higher power and to give you the strength to stop drinking.

Where as a fellow agnostic, I would say:

"Dont try to control everything, just believe in yourself and do what you can".

How many people in real need have continued to drink, because of the religious elements in AA.

Believe only in what you can manage to do for yourself.
I wonder how many have continued drinking without?

I tried that for over 20 something years, it was when I cried out to God that I found peace, joy , serenity and lasting sobriety.

And not before. I can believe in what I can manage for myself, but it doesn't mean it works. Is it working for you?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

After reading this thread I found myself wanting to express something, but having a difficult time identifying it. I could relate to something you wrote, but I could not put my finger on it. I guess I'll just share my experience.

I had a very difficult time with the higher power aspect of AA in the beginning also. I rejected the idea that it could help me at all. I had been a long standing agnostic, but I could not stay sober, even while going to AA regularly.

Then, there came a point in time when I became open to the idea that there might be a higher power that I was unaware of. I became just open minded enough to go on a search. This is the point that I believe you may be at now. You took the coffee position not knowing how it could possibly help to locate a power greater than your self, but you did it anyway.

For me, I believe it was the searching, predicated on a true open mindedness, that turned out to be essential. Paradoxically, I found that 'to be happier' I had to find “freedom from the boundaries of self”.

Keep searching. I think you're on to something.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The big plan going into AA is just to have an open mind.
You have to have an open mind so that you can listen and soak in everything.

Nothing and no one has the answer.

But have an open mind to all possibilities.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, all for the great responses. I do have a wide open mind (or I like to think so at least!) and an "willing to be willing" as I've heard said. It can't hurt to try, right? I failed miserably on my own over and over again. Sometimes I think part of what helps is the camaraderie on SR and in AA. We're not alone and for me that is an enormous help. I was feeling like the biggest idiot on the planet.