Notices

My first effort!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

because the way you describe it.....you seem to think that if you drink daily in the morning, you're an alcoholic. But,...if you drink at night...daily...you're not. Tell me...what is the difference?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i think that the difference is the amount of time that I am sober (or not drunk) and the impact that this has on my family and the people around me, as my kids don't see me often drunk and I don't behave like drunk all day long.

If I am making a mistake, I am very open to understand it, I believe that I am an alcoholic, I am making my 1st attempt to quit, but I think there is difference in my behavior and a friend of mine or my father that they are drunk from noon.

Also the logic tells me that the more drinking without limits the more difficult is to quit.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

you already said that you drink everyday. Making sure certain people don't see you drunk doesn't mean you aren't an alcoholic. There aren't levels of alcoholic. You either are...or you aren't. Being able to maintain normal behavior doesn't speak to a certain level of alcoholism....it just means you have built up quite a high tolerance. Meaning....you can drink an amount and still seem normal....where another person could drink the same amount and be fall down drunk. Severe alcoholics can drink quite a bit and still seem sober.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In my opinion...a fathers children should NEVER see him drunk.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congratulations on 10 days. I hope you find your support of choice and keep your great work up. xxxxx
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Two levels of alcoholism,

Alive

Dead

Two levels of Sober,

Now

Never
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm going to restate a point that I made a few nights ago (was it last night?). And this is just an observation of myself and my experience. I tried moderation/limitation/restriction for many years. . .and it drove me crazy. I ended up anticipating, waiting until I "could" drink or when it was "okay" to drink. When it all lined up, and I was in the clear, I'd either go for it, perhaps even bigger than I might have before, or, if I controlled it, it was tourture, wanting more, but saying, "no, I'm trying to control this." I felt like I had a bad itch that I couldn't scratch hard or deep enough. Well, eventually, I gave in and stopped moderating, and then the drinking was even worse. And I too emersed myself in addiciton literature, read the Big Book cover to cover, read Sober Living, read The Easy Way, and looking back, I realize that I was looking for a loop hole, searching for some glitch, some flash that would let me know that I was different, not an alchoholic. I eventaully had to surrender. My experience. Take it for what it's worth. I just feel SO much better that that war is over. I don't have to fight anymore. The madness and struggle is behind me. I hope you find a path that brings you peace.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Condition! We're so glad to have you here - and happy you are willing to have this important discussion.

I tried so hard to be a social drinker. I couldn't imagine going my whole life without ever having another drink. I went on trying to manage it for many years - but in the end I was drinking all day (like your father). Please be careful as you decide what to do. It's very good you are reaching out for advice - we care what happens to you and we want to help.