Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is isolating myself from loved ones a normal part of recovery?

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headed into Day 32 and I feel good about it. My biggest concern is I'm isolating myself from my family including my wife. Now this isn't happening all the time. One day I'm doing good feeling on top of the world the next I'm moping around and all sad and what not. Of course I have the anxiety, panic, and worry. This moping almost depressed feeling hits around my usual drinking time and lasts a few hours. Worse on the weekends for some reason. I started taking some B-vitamin supplements to help boost my moods and exercising everyday. Oh and some nights ill have nightmares so bad I believe I could make Stephen King's movies look like Disney cartoons.

Has anyone else felt this way? Kind of a strange thing to explain.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Who is to say what is normal? I'd suggest if you had some isolating behavior before you quit, and you have some as you quit, then some isolating is a normal for you. Importantly, you are aware of your isolating and this means to me anyways you'd rather not isolate. Do you already have some workable ideas on how to deal with your isolating by making changes in your choices to isolate? Working on your moods like you say must be already helpful too.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

It is an intense period of re adjustment. I recall my thinking didnt really settle down for three months, my emotions were all over the place. It was very raw in many ways.

Reconnecting takes time and i had to learn new ways of being with others and more importantly with myself
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Timelord

It was for me. I saw it as my penance weirdly. Although it didn't last long as my loved ones came back to me and helped me through the withdrawal.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I've always gone through periods of isolating myself so, as Robby suggests, I guess I just like my own company. But it is good that you recognize when you're isolating and that you're taking positive, holistic steps towards stabilizing your mood and enhancing your well-being in recovery. It's taken me over 6 months of sobriety to get into the habit of taking B vitamins and exercising every day so you're doing really well. Well done on day 32!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on day 32. It takes a while for emotions to settle down xx
Old 02-06-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I have had a similar experience. Times when everything is annoying and I know if my wife or daughter talks to me I'm just going to be grumpy and snarky, so I head off to another room and avoid contact for a while.

I try to be more engaging with family at the times I feel OK. And, when I was feeling social once I explained to them what was happening and why I sometimes isolate.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First off I want to add how much I really appriciate the help everyone on here gives. At first I felt pretty alone in this fight but coming across this place has really helped out alot, even in just a few days. I don't live close to anywhere that hosts AA meetings so this place is great! Reading the responses and I can literally feel the dark cloud of anxiety and worry going away! When I say feeling normal I mean having a good worry-free day where I actually feel like doing something. This place is a great place. I'm glad I met y'all!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Addmik, I isolated a lot more during my first few months of sobriety. I realized that I often drank to help myself tune out and not be so aware of my kids' noise after a long day. Drinking helped me not notice them. In sobriety, I have found just going into my bedroom and turning on a white noise machine and lying down for 20 minutes can change my mindset.

Good luck and congratulations!