Notices

New here. Finishing up day one.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Finishing up day one.

Hello all. Im not new to substance abuse. Ive done AA a few times before. But tomorrow evening I will be going back. However, for the first time I will announce myself as an alchoholic. Im thr usual combat veteran with ptsd. Navy DOC...was with 1/6. For the first time ever. Ive hit my point. Im exhausted of drinking. Im exhausted of living the pain of that life. Im ready to heal. It used to be a really nice comforting friend...but now not so much. I found the forum last night. And WOW. What an eye opener. And today I called AA instead of being ordered. Feels good to finally initiate the first steps. Just thought Id join and say hi. Any support is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to our forum sweety
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou! Excited to be here. How are you?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean doc...took the pain and stress away but it was short lived. I'm only. 9 days in..but feels good to start to feel free. You can do it..we all can. I have to believe that. It's not our friend it's out to destroy us. There are so many wonderful people here. You sound strong. Welcome.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou you peaches! Ive felt chills just with both of you replying. I feel strong and confident. I never did before because I knew I wad going back.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Navy! We're so glad to have you join us.

I came here in terrible shape - drinking 24/7. My friends here got me on my feet & gave me courage. I never went back to those miserable old days of being numb and stupid. You are never alone - you have us, and we want to help.
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Navydoc!

Glad you are joining us and it sounds line you are ready for sobriety and taking the right steps toward achieving it.

It's do very supportive here and it has been my lifeline for the last 9 months!

Hope to see you stick with us, and thank you for your service!!
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're in the right place for support in quitting drinking. There's so much support and good info here. I give SR a lot of credit for my sobriety. I depend on daily visits here to help keep a healthy attitude.

Welcome to the family!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Doc to the forum. I'm happy you found us. This is a great place to come for support. Just take one day at a time and know...you never have to go back. You can do this!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankyou guys!! Ill be here for a long while. This is awesome to have such readied support. Its gonna be a hard win but Im ready. Im at that point. That turn in the road. I feel lucky to still be here. If I dont grab it now....lifes gonna crash. Bad. I wanna feel good again. And saving allll that money would be nice. Just so everyone knows. I was on and off since 08. Binge drinking during younger years. I range from straight cheap vodka to multiple bottles of wine and beer a night. Ive detoxed plenty of times. I nkow the hell it is. So now its time to figure out recovery.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had no idea the wealth of info and people Id find when I google alchohlic forum. The amount of people online is astounding.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome NAVYDOC. I've only been here a day and I can tell you that people are unbelievably caring and willing to help anyone out, to take time out of their own day to offer support and advice. It's really a good place.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Navy huh? Im an ex-marine.... Good luck to you!! don't drink!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Ive got some liquid melatonin. Gonna head to bed. . Ill come back after AA tomorrow. Goodnight everyone.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Been laying here awake. Slight anxiety. Managed to finally eat. My insomnia is a bad habit from the military but also drinking related. Starting to feel better. Acyually laughed at jf late night show. . Gonna turn off the tv. Melatonin is working. Excited for tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NAVYDOC06 View Post
Been laying here awake. Slight anxiety. Managed to finally eat. My insomnia is a bad habit from the military but also drinking related. Starting to feel better. Acyually laughed at jf late night show. . Gonna turn off the tv. Melatonin is working. Excited for tomorrow.
Very happy to hear that. Make sure you get those carbs in, as well as protein. And also stay hydrated. Watching a funny movie usually calms me down too, or TV. Hope you have a good nights sleep and good day tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks alex. But still wide awake. And something I forgot to add...i just finished day one of sobriety. . Not detox. I did thr eady style detox (WHICH IS STILL HELL) What I mean is that i drank less and less until I was close to feeling ok and then stopped.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If anyone new is reading this. Ive been to the ER over 3 times with bac of over 38 ot higher. ..If your gonna detox, I would reccomend the ER IMO. Its safe. Feels easier and you can tranfer into something more long term. I never cared. But thats addiction.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're past the detox, Doc. It really is awful and I hope to never have to go through one again. This site really is a great tool. When I'm feeling cravings/ depressed/ irritable I come on here and just read. You're not alone.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and congrats on day one xxxx