Notices

What if...

Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Jesus, I might be the lone person here on this but I think quitting benzos and alcohol all at once is the most deadly detox there is....at least that is what I was told in rehab. I would never, ever go cold turkey on this one unless I had consulted a dr. My rehab had me drink up until til I got there and they could properly start me on a medically aided detox. They were that concerned because of the combo of booze with the benzos.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think I'll be fine. I only started taking benzos again a week ago (after a 30 day benzo-free period) to help me quit drinking.
But I can tell I am relying on them way too much.
It's the panic/anxiety that's unbearable, but the physical withdrawal is not really that bad, more like a stomach flu.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

For me, panic and anxiety is part of the physical withdrawal. There have been hangovers, and then there have been times I have thought I was going to crawl out of my skin from anxiety and panic.

Can I ask how much you were drinking?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I'm in BC as well but Mountain Time.
I was hoping you were closer, Vancouver and Surrey have daytox programs out here. This is something that is quite new but it has been quite successful for some.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Patricia
Do you live by yourself? Sounds like you might feel a lot safer if you had some friends or family around to help you out. Is that possible?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Patricia do you have sober friend who can come over and keep you company tonight? It might help to not be alone. If you don't have someone there, stay on this site and keep posting.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post

Can I ask how much you were drinking?
A bottle of wine on a good day. 2 bottles when I was having bad anxiety. Sometimes half a pint of rum instead of wine :-(
Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Patricia
Do you live by yourself? Sounds like you might feel a lot safer if you had some friends or family around to help you out. Is that possible?
I live with my husband a my 6 year old boy. But they don't know I have a drinking problem. (I think my husband suspects though, he mentioned I drink too much or that I smell like booze)
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunriseSky View Post
Patricia do you have sober friend who can come over and keep you company tonight? It might help to not be alone. If you don't have someone there, stay on this site and keep posting.

Good luck
I never told anybody about my drinking problem. I don't really have close friends I can trust
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The drugs and the drink are but a symptom . We have to change our thoughts and behaviors as well
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I never told anybody about my drinking problem. I don't really have close friends I can trust
OK Patricia, I understand. I don't have anyone I've confided to either. So if you are feeling anxious just stay on this site. You're not alone.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am tired of fighting.
I want a better life!
I DESERVE a better life!

What if...I if I get rid of all the alcohol in the house and all the benzos? Would it help? I know I might be in hell for a few days, but I am in hell now knowing they're around.

What if?
That is what I did and now I and into my second month and doing great. Anxiety comes and goes, but I feel so good inside as well as physical.
I think you are on the right path to finding that answer you ask.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
Jesus, I might be the lone person here on this but I think quitting benzos and alcohol all at once is the most deadly detox there is....At least that is what I was told in rehab. I would never, ever go cold turkey on this one unless I had consulted a dr. My rehab had me drink up until til I got there and they could properly start me on a medically aided detox. They were that concerned because of the combo of booze with the benzos.
Freethinking is correct. I had to monitor my benzo withdrawal through my Psychiatrist..So it can be very dangerous. How much are you taking? The withdrawals of benzos have almost killed me. So the combo of both at same time might be best if monitored. Not sure if you put that up in other post. I did not read them all, have to go back to work. But always need to get my daily support from SR. Just be careful and since you don't communicate much with others about your drinking, then Doctor or even counseling that you can get for free is wise. Good luck. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

How do I get that courage Tomsteve? I feel like a complete failure right now.
yer not a failure. yer jut a sick person.
I got the courage by prayin for it. then kept prayin for it.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
The drugs and the drink are but a symptom . We have to change our thoughts and behaviors as well
You are so right Captain! They are a symptom that I need to make better choices and change bad habits. I am 45, perimenopausal (ugh), changes are happening whether I like them or not...maybe the panic/anxiety are the way my body is telling me ''I've had enough of poison!''
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kflee View Post
How much are you taking? The withdrawals of benzos have almost killed me. So the combo of both at same time might be best if monitored.
Took 0.5 mg three times a week last week, and 0.5mg yesterday and today.
I didn't get rid of them though. I want to see how I feel and IF I can stop taking them for the next few days, unless the anxiety is out of control.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I got the courage by prayin for it. then kept prayin for it.
I will do that. Prayers and meditation always seem to calm me down. Thank you
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Patricia welcome to SR. x

You've made the first step, knowing you want to quit. Just take it one baby step at a time, one foot in front of the other. Slowly does it, good to know you are consulting with your doc.

Keep posting and reading, it does help. x
Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

How do I get that courage Tomsteve? I feel like a complete failure right now.
The first month I still had some xanax around because I was normally taking for my anxiety. But my husband knows everything, so I gave the script to him. He monitors me when I ask him for one. Funny thing is that I only asked 2 times in first 30 days. If I had to do it on my own, I might not be able to get through it as easy. Have you thought about telling your spouse. Maybe he will help with things that you may not even realize you need. Simple things that may help you get along this path easier.
It is scary feeling and what I think Tomsteve meant was you won't really know how the night goes until you try it. if there was a way you could give your script to someone you trust so you have nothing in house. see how you do and go from there. One day at a time.
You are not a failure. You came here and that is better than many people out there. The fact that you have strength to vent on SR means you will find the courage, cuz its already there but just been hiding inside for some time.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Here's a quick update:
I managed to sleep through the night
I just woke up and I'm not really feeling very well. Headache. Nausea. Chills. No energy.
My anxiety is mild right now. I will avoid coffee and drink herbal tea instead.
Praying to stay strong today. Praying to control the cravings.
Noon is my worse time when it comes to anxiety. Let's hope I can handle it.