Notices

miserable right now

Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

miserable right now

Hi everyone,
I am new and feeling confused and miserable. A few days ago I was drinking and smoking pot at a party and I accidentally fell down some stairs, broke my shoulder and lacerated the elbow of the other arm. My BF took me to the ER where I got a sling and pain meds and was told to stay at home for 2 weeks. I feel awful, not just in the sense that it is the most excruciating pain of my entire life, but also for missing work and incurring what might be a huge financial burden, since I may also need surgery. I normally smoke a little pot twice a week and have 2 glasses of wine 4-5 days a week. I've decided I need a sobriety break for a while but this has been a serious wake up call. I know that both marijuana and alcohol cause loss of coordination and mixing them together was a pretty bad idea.

I'd love to hear your thoughts - I really do not want anything like this to happen again. I haven't drank or smoked pot since the accident but I'm also on tylenol & codeine for the pain.

thanks...
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bluepoppy - Welcome to SR! So sorry for the injuries, but glad you are here

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bluepoppy please read Jill23s new post.

can you relate.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad you are here and hope you get better soon. Hugs xxxxxx
Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ouchie!

That does sound pretty miserable. How about cutting out the pot and booze for 30 days? See how you feel.

Most of us here are convinced we can't drink at all and working on having happy lives that don't involve alcohol or drugs.

The tricky thing with alcohol and substances is that our use tends to increase over time and the consequences get bigger. Do you drink/smoke more now than you did 5 years ago? 2 years ago? Just something to think about. Many people don't realise how much their use increases over time. It's a bit like your pot and wine is in a big trap. For years you might be able to dart into the trap, grab them and get out again unscathed. If the trap starts to close you might be able to come up with a few fancy moves (eg switching to another type of alcohol, deciding to only drink on weekends, not drink after midnight, only smoke pot instead of drinking etc) to escape the trap, but chances are eventually the trap is going to close and you'll be stuck in a cycle of addiction.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

going 30 days sounds like a good idea to me. Give it a try and see if pot and booze are really that important to you. I used to not be able to even picture a life without alcohol. Didn't think anything would be fun w/o it. Ive been sober for over 10 years and find joy in all the things I thought I wouldn't.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
bluepoppy please read Jill23s new post.

can you relate.
Thanks Whiskeyman...
yeah they are sort of similar but I never blacked out... I remember everything that happened down to the most excruciating detail.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Pluepoppy, to SR. I'm glad you are ok. I guess every now and then we have to take a fall to shake the cobwebs of our brains. Even think about this, smoke a little pot twice a week and have 2 glasses of wine 4-5 days a week for 40 years. Over the time period that's probably $200,000 dollars. Now that is a nice "chunkuhchange", and man do I wish I had one now. Rootin for ya.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck with your sobriety ��
Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bluepoppy - welcome to SR

I was a booze and pot man too - I had a lot of accidents, and progressively worse ones. I would then medicate the pain with more booze and pot...it was a pretty tight trap to be caught in.

Its so insidious too: a little drink, a little puff seems harmless...but you grow to want it, sometimes even need it....and incrementally you ramp up your use.

As the years went on I was smoking and drinking all day.
I started off taking the drugs, but in the end they took me.

I was ashamed of me and what my life had become. I didn't recognise myself in the mirror or in the things I was doing.
I was capable of more.

I wanted the real me back - and I found him when I gave up booze and pot. I know you will too

D
Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that this accident helps you to make some changes in your life. Stopping the drinking and drugs won't be easy, but the benefits will make it worthwhile.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here can help you stay clean and sober for good.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I told my BF last night I'd like to take a break of at least 30 days once I come off the codeine, he seemed supportive of the idea and definitely understands why I am feeling this way. Perhaps it's the wake up call I truly needed...
Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Bluepoppy, sometimes you just get careless with life, and it always has big costs. You are doing the right thing in trying to take better care of yourself.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know it's tough in the early days but it really does get better and you 'll feel so much better in time