Notices

Antabuse

Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how many people have tried to use Antabuse to quit drinking? I live in Canada, and it doesn't seem to be a very commonly used thing here. I only found out about it through much research. For those that may not know what it is, it is a prescribed pill that will not allow you to drink once you take it. It is usually effective for about a week, in my experiences. I tried to drink about 4 days after I took a pill in the past (VERY much not recommended), and it was an extremely terrible experience and it almost put me into the ER. Really, though, it was a blessing in disguise, because I knew for a fact I couldn't mess around with this drug in my body.

Anyway, for me, Antabuse (generic name is Disulfiram) was great, especially at the beginning stages of recovery, to ward off any white-knuckle urges. I used to take it every day, then I stopped for a while, but I found out that I preferred to have some on hand in the event that I do encounter some strong urges (I am still relatively early on in sobriety). Once I took a pill, I knew that drinking was immediately not an option for me (if you drink on Antabuse, you could literally die).

Anyway, for me it was effective. It isn't perfect (all you have to do is not take the pill), and it doesn't address any psychological issues. I found it helped with calming my cravings, because again, drinking alcohol becomes biologically impossible if you take this drug, so the "What if..." question doesn't get asked in your mind. It's just not an option. And although it doesn't address the "Why I drink..." aspect, at least if you take it for a few months and then keep some on hand for the future, it will get you out of the habit of drinking (which after a time will get you out of the habit of thinking about drinking all the time). It might not work for some, but it might work for others.

If you're interested, of course, just ask your doctor about it. It helped me for sure, though.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am having success with Antabuse. I think everyone's drinking style is different, but my bad habit has been hanging out at the many fabulous happy hours in my resort area. My main concern is the obstacle to weight loss (I want to lose about 20 -- my doctor wants me too also), but obviously my life will improve any every way with less or no alcohol.

After a week of Antabuse, my attraction to the happy hours has waned. It seems many experts think it takes 3 weeks to really change a habit. I'm relieved to find that I don't want or crave alcohol; I do crave the companionship, however, I realized that most of the happy hour crowd wasn't worth hanging out with. I did go to HH once to visit with three people who ARE worthwhile. I had club soda and didn't miss the wine at all, much to my surprise. I did feel guilty about hogging the bar space for a $2 drink, so I left the bartender a huge tip :-)

I tried this once before and had a few sips of wine. I turned bright red and my blood pressure shot up. I didn't get sick, but that was enough to convince me. I feel a great sense of relief knowing that I've taken this in the morning, so alcohol is just not an option. I plan to take it for two or three more weeks, and I'm thinking that will be enough to hep me change this ridiculous bar-hopping habit of mine. Already this week I've gotten a ton more productive in every way.

This isn't medical advice, just an account of my experience. I've also done SMART Recovery, which helped me see logically why I was doing what I was.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It helped me for 5 months but as soon as I came off of it I drank the next day. That was just my experience though. It was my first real effort at getting sober and it was a great 5 months, and I am certain it helped me in my journey to finally getting sober the following year.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never taken it but have heard about how badly it will affect you if you drink on it. For me that wouldn't have worked as I just wouldn't have taken the pill. But it does help some people so that's a positive point.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Lots of discussions on antabuse today xxxxxxx