Notices

Hello

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

By the way Erik congradulations on 10 sober years!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My symptoms on a scale from 1-10 were probably a 9 or 10 but don't we ALL think that at the time? Nobody WANTS to feel like that. I was feeling symptom free pretty much immediately from the moment I went into the emergency room at the hospital because of the medication. The doctor told me that had I not come to the hospital, and if I survived the process at home....then I would probably go thru hell for about 4 or 5 days. And just so you know....if you do it at home....the 3rd day is the worst. The 2nd day you may think to yourself..."hey this isn't so bad"...but then that 3rd day hits and holy crap.....all I can say is ...don't do this to yourself....go to the E.R. That's what they are there for. Doesn't have to be what you are in for if you try it alone.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No I know that it can happen to me, I fully realize that I am not 10 foot tall and bullet proof. I am starting to worry about what I've gotten myself into, but am wanting so bad to ' ditch this demon'.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What was the worst physical portion of the withdrawal?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The point you get to where you think you are slipping into insanity.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The only way ive ever been able to describe it to anyone who has asked was this.....you get this feeling of impending doom. That's where Delirium Tremens begins. Most people who get a little shaky say "oh I have the DT's" That's not the DT's. Delirium means 'delirious' ....having to do with the brain almost turning on itself. The 'tremens' part refers to the uncontrollable shaking. Once you've gone into Delirium Tremens you could be in BIG trouble. That's when panic hits. What most refer to as 'anxiety'. Its actually a HUGE panic attack that hits you. Then the fact that you are panicing, makes you panic even more, making it so much
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

making it so much worse.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Drinking just enough to taper yourself may ease your symptoms, but, that alcohol isn't replenishing the other things your body needs to recover.....its actually making those things worse. Drinking enough to ease the symptoms doesn't replace vitamins...or potassium, or electrolytes, or folic acid, or thiamine and it just makes you even more dehydrated. When I went to the hospital and told them I was there for alcohol withdrawal, they immediately put me on a IV sodium chloride drip
Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

it wasn't long before they had me on a potassium drip and giving me folic acid pills. They then started giving me Ativan for my shakes and panicking. The doctor told me the worst thing an alcoholic can do, is try to detox at home. You just don't have the resources you need to do it safely. You don't have all the vitamins and fluids ( to the level needed ) at home.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Was this your 'third day' that you said was the worst? It does sound like a nightmare.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joshua14 View Post
Was this your 'third day' that you said was the worst? It does sound like a nightmare.
The 3rd days I refer to were the times I tried to do it on my own. And yes...it was the worst. But...like I said...when I went to the hospital....I was able to bypass most of these symptoms because I was getting the medication I needed. During my hospital stay....the worst thing I could complain about was my messed up sleeping patterns. All the other stuff....the shakes....the panic....seizures....they controlled all that. My point is that I didn't have to suffer.....and I knew that if ANYTHING went wrong...I was in the RIGHT place. Being at home...if something goes wrong...you still have to get to the hospital....if you even can. Atleast going to the ER...you are already there if something goes wrong. You just don't have the resources a hospital has to get you to that safe point. All tapering does is prolong the suffering. Even if you are successful...you haven't replenished any of the things your body needs.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

What usually happens to those who try to detox or taper at home is simple. In the very beginning of "tapering" they don't feel THAT bad....so they make their decision to go it alone based on the way they feel at that given moment. They don't realize that in a matter of hours...its going to be 100 times worse. So what happens is ...they white knuckle it for a while and it gets SO bad that they just want to end the suffering....so they just start drinking to get right. But all they have done at that point is put off the inevitable. If they ever really want sobriety, they are going to HAVE to go thru it. And that's where the hospital comes in.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Joshua, just checking how you are doing?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking, today was not terrible. Rough yes. But not terrible. I slept about two hours last night, not expecting much more tonight, but good news is I was not drunk or buzzed last night or tonight either. Yes I did drink this evening, but I am not feeling any effects from IntoxIcatIon. Been monitoring blood pressure and pulse rate.

Will keep you posted. But my atittude tonight is good although tired from little sleep.

I called my general practitioner today and didn't get great responses. I hope this doesn't come to going to the er as I really cannot afford to repay that.

But through the unusual feeling of sobriety I have started making knives again and have a little hope.

Will post again later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Drinking is only going to make things worse....I hope you reconsider
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Making it worse by postponing the worst of the withdrawal? Or something else?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Both.....like I said before....continuing to drink (or taper) just wards off symptoms....symptoms you eventually go thru....and you aren't replenishing all the vital fluids and vitamins and potassium your body needs.....
Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I just don't want you to suffer