Notices

From Alcoholic to Shopaholic!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From Alcoholic to Shopaholic!

Yikes! After quitting drinking I find myself surfing the web and ordering stuff! Stuff I think I need, stuff I may need, stuff the family needs, stuff the family may need! I am noticing a trend here........

It is so bad this month that I am on a first name basis with the UPS guy, returning stuff as well........

Better stop this shopping but something tells me one addiction is trying to replace the other
Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'Cept that alcoholism will kill you versus shopaholism just costing you bucks

I did the same thing for a while in early sobriety - don't worry about it too much. It takes a while to change and since your brain's pleasure center isn't getting the booze it wants so you're finding other things to get the thrill. It's cool. Stay sober a day at a time and things will even out. Don't try to change too much too quick. If you go to bed sober tonight, you win, period.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have what I call an amazon finger
Old 02-04-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i ordered these very pretty lace bras yesterday, you might need these too......SOMA
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is definitely addictive behaviour too... I read a book about a woman in recovery who ended up tens of thousands of pounds in debt because of her compulsive shopping and I thought 'well mine is only in the hundreds so I am okay yet...'!

Once I got my food under control the shopping started. I am all or nothing. I can ban myself from amazon for a while but once I am there I spend hundreds! Okay I haven't been there for a week but I did order two pairs of boots yesterday which came to about £260... I am gonna have to go cold turkey for a bit!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I have what I call an amazon finger
LOL! LOVE IT!!!! We share the same dilema!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

We should have our own thread. 24 hour support for the amazon finger xxx
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

That must be tough. Spiritualy I'm pretty sure that you're trying to fill what only God can w/ tangible thing
Old 02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have it too and recently realized it's an emptiness that we have. A Hungry Ghost, as Dr. Gabor Mate puts it in his book. A very expensive one for me because I'm a car nut. I have bought and sold several cars and a few motorcycles in the past 5 years during periods of new sobriety. The obsessions really build up when you can't self-medicate, no matter how they manifest themselves.

Seeking to fill that void left from early pain, a lack of spirituality and a dysfunctional relationship - it leads me to try and fill the void in unhealthy ways. I am embarrassed by this behavior because it goes against my values, not to mention what it costs. I am seeing a therapist now and have realized I probably need to work the steps to try and live a more spiritual and less materialistic life.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
waking down

I've bought seven books since sobriety, but I'm reading them.

Several of the books were about mindfulness and addiction. I decided to study addiction rather than alcoholism specifically, because I know I am an addict on several levels, not just an alcoholic. The books are worth reading.

I'm currently reading Mindful Recovery by Bien and Bien. You may want to consider shifting from computer time to book time. I've tried to limit my time on this website for the same reason. Books on mindfulness are teaching me, not just about recovery, but about a different approach to life; one where I am not seeking behaviors in order to avoid uncomfortable states of mind. Filling the void, as 1newcreation pointed out, but filling it with awareness and spiritual vision (this could include god or not).

Just my thinking. Effectively addressing addiction does not automatically follow from sobriety. It's a conscious choice, and it is taking some effort on my part.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you advbike and zerothehero, both of your posts truck a cord. I will have to look into what is causing this behavior because sobriety only removes the substance; however the underlying cause of addiction is still there.
I have been meaning to shop for a counselor.

And the internet can be very addictive as well!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Omg this is me to I'm addicted to internet shopping also especially lorna Jane I'd rather that then drink
Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

After dealing with chocolate , I'm now shopping on line!! As long as I don't overspend, I think it's great therapy! Love the pottery barn clearance sales!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oceanlady View Post
After dealing with chocolate , I'm now shopping on line!! As long as I don't overspend, I think it's great therapy! Love the pottery barn clearance sales!!!
Now I will have to look into pottery barn, chocolate is awesome for sure!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been the same day and it's because I lost so much weight!