Notices

Just wanting to ask if this is normal

Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanting to ask if this is normal

Ok to start off I'm 24 years old and male. I started drinking socially at age 21. I would always drinking beer only. Some nights when I was 21-23 I was drink once or twice a week maybe (3-8) beers in a setting. 6 months ago I lost my job and started drinking everyday between (4-20) nightly. I made my mind up I was going to quit because the hangovers were getting unbearable with alot of anxiety. Alcoholic genes on both sides of my family so I decided it was time to lay it down.

I've been quit now for alittle over 1 month. This first week was to be honest a living hell. My moods were up and down. Anxiety was high and alot of irritability. My blood sugar was messed up and kept going down. I got past most of that. My sugar has lined almost all the way out, I've been eating good, taking vitamins, and exercising. What I'm asking is how long until I feel back to normal completely. One day ill feel great the next I'm craving alcohol with mild depression and anxiety. It will last a few hours and ill feel normal again.

Is this normal for recovery?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like the pretty 'typical' progress of dealing with a return to sobriety.

"normal"? Depends upon your expectation of what that means...

I would encourage you, rather than being overly concerned about feeling any particular way, to be open to how you're feeling regardless what that is, notice it, ask yourself about it, work a sobriety program (AA has been helpful for me), and look for the good in every day.... find the gratitude.

I've found that in doing this, I establish a new 'normal' - which is better than any normal I can recall....

congratulations on over a month of sobriety!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on quitting drinking before it would be too late. Your symptoms may be anxiety/stress related, and maybe everytime you feel anxious or stressed your mind associates that feeling with alcohol. It just may be learned behavior from your past drinking. Addiction is very hard wired into our brain and our brain can play tricks on us.
Just try and meditate or another distraction.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you even think that you may have a problem please do not let the voice in your head ever convince you to pick up a drink again. If you are a month in you are well on your way.
It only gets better from here
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well you know already that it does pass. After a while the bad times will lessen, it is still early days. You'll be fine. xxx
Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had bad anxiety before I quit drinking. when I quit it got worse for first 30 days, but now it has subsided. I think alcohol made me more panicky and vulnerable for panic attack. It went away for me, minus a few days of roughness still, but I feel a lot better now. I am around same as you and I started feeling better this week. Im day 38 now.Good luck. Stay strong.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What you're feeling is quite normal for early sobriety. It takes a while for your body and brain to heal and return to normal functioning. Hang in there. It does get better.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the quick response and words of encouragement. I'm glad I found this website here because I was beginning to think it was just me. My wife has been very supportive of this so that has helped. Hearing from other people whi have been right where I'm at just took a big load off my shoulders. About everyone in my family drinks everyday. And I've never met anyone who has ever just quit. So thanks again everyone!!