Notices

About to go to 1st AA meeting

Old 02-04-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About to go to 1st AA meeting

Well I'm on day 2 again. I obviously cannot do this on my own so I'm about to go to a meeting. I've been to a couple a few years ago but didn't take it seriously. So this will be my first meeting in a long time and the first ever that I'm genuinely looking for help. I don't know what's going on lately but it seems like when I quit for a week and drink for a day or 2 I feel worse than I ever have. Horrible anxiety, my body hurts, keep feeling dizzy. It seems like it has gotten way worse way fast. What the hell is up with that?! Anyways, gotta go but I'm back again. Hopefully for good this time.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Good for you!!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by brit789 View Post
Well I'm on day 2 again. I obviously cannot do this on my own so I'm about to go to a meeting. I've been to a couple a few years ago but didn't take it seriously. So this will be my first meeting in a long time and the first ever that I'm genuinely looking for help. I don't know what's going on lately but it seems like when I quit for a week and drink for a day or 2 I feel worse than I ever have. Horrible anxiety, my body hurts, keep feeling dizzy. It seems like it has gotten way worse way fast. What the hell is up with that?! Anyways, gotta go but I'm back again. Hopefully for good this time.
Glad to hear that you are making a serious effort to quit this time, that's what it took for me. The great news is you never have to go through withdrawals again if you choose not to. Have a good meeting and let us know how it goes!

Withdrawals can get progressively worse each time you drink, some call it "Kindling" Sometimes it can get to the point where the withdrawals are dangerous, even fatal in rare circumstances. You may want to consider seeing a doctor if things don't feel right.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news,I hope you find it helpful.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Yes, we have learned the hard way that it gets much worse very fast.

Please grab on to AA and hold on for dear life. Do whatever it takes--you'll just need honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best to you! I really get a lot out of AA and hope you do too.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm about to go in. I'm so nervous. I already have horrible anxiety. I've only seen old guys go in and I'm a young woman. How am I going to relate to these ppl?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You'll do fine.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You really will be fine - I'm a woman and my first meeting I was the youngest and only female there! Go in! We're here holding your hand
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It'll be ok. Just go in and ask for help. I'm sure they are willing to help you.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Meeting went well. Talked with a couple ppl after and cried like an idiot. I am so pissed that I'm going to have to admit I'm an alcoholic. I've known in the back of my mind for awhile. But my clever little mind always seems able to convince me I'm overreacting about it. Until I feel like I'm dying again after drinking all weekend. I'm so sick of that cycle. It's got out of control fast and that scares me. Guess it's time to grow up and be honest with myself. I'm an alcoholic. I still don't want to believe that but here I am. Please keep me in your prayers. Thanks guys
Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Brit glad your meeting went well, they are people like yourself, from all walks of life.

You made a big step forward keep treading those steps, sure and firm and you will see the benefits being sober has. xx
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Brit - you're in the right place. I completely understand feeling like you shouldn't be there. But since you seem to know something needs to change about your drinking, this is a bold and positive move for you.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brit789 View Post
Meeting went well. Talked with a couple ppl after and cried like an idiot. I am so pissed that I'm going to have to admit I'm an alcoholic. I've known in the back of my mind for awhile. But my clever little mind always seems able to convince me I'm overreacting about it. Until I feel like I'm dying again after drinking all weekend. I'm so sick of that cycle. It's got out of control fast and that scares me. Guess it's time to grow up and be honest with myself. I'm an alcoholic. I still don't want to believe that but here I am. Please keep me in your prayers. Thanks guys
Wow i remember this feeling so well. Liek it was yesterday.
I was so scared to walk thru that door. That i was so unique, no one else would have a problem like mine.

Oh my gosh, we are all the same, and aftger i walked thru that door i have never looked back. Okay maybe once or twice when i thought screw this maybe i am not an alocoholic. and boy did i find out fast that i was.

I kept going back out as i just didnt WANT to admit it. It seemed like the rest of the world.
But think of it as poison, can you live without putting poison into your system everyday. yes i could.

It took awhile to get honest with myself and once i did i was FREE
Old 02-04-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And maybe those old guys need to be shook up abit anyway.
Complacency is what makes old timers go back out.
You will be helping them more than them helping you.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

glad ya went, brit. what you sat is not unique. many of us have had a problem admitting we are aslcoholics.
have ya happened to read the big book of alcoholics anonymous? heres a lil from it:

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

crazy thing for me when I read the big book: I related to so much of what it says and yet it was published 27 years before I was born.
had a solution and promises that would come true if I tookt he suggestions and ran with em.
pretty darn good life today.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went brit

If you're having trouble believing you have a problem, re-read some old posts maybe?
that always helped me 'keep it real'

D