Notices

What's up Weasel?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool What's up Weasel?

Hey, great question! Glad you asked.

I was never a Jekyll and Hyde kind of drunk. More the embodiment of Abbot and Costello or even Pinky and the Brain. (Look them up young people).

But there was no denying the fun, happy, life of the party Kenny from simply Ken.

All fizzy water and no booze does not make Ken a dull boy these days. That's not what I am trying to tell you.

But I have split myself in ways to ensure my overall safety and protection. I call it survival mode. I realized recently that I am still in it.

A short update for those that don't know me.... Dec 2012 my partner of 19 years beat me up and put me in the hospital. No charges pressed because we are two guys and the cops applied the law differently. But his changed me and shut down much of my pleasure sensors if you get what I am saying.

So I have been carefully deconstructing and reconstructing my life. I relocated out of state. I got a much better job at a better rate. I left much of my "things" behind me and bought all new. New car, new furniture, just new.

Survival mode is a cold place to be but a necessary one in my sobriety. It's my minds way of putting everything off so I can slowly filter in those things that support my sobriety.

It's kind of odd. I provide the physical things I need like food, clothing and shelter but strip away the emotional things I need such as close friends, romance and intimacy. Essentially only things needed for survival.

I am ready. Ready to rejuvenate myself. Ready to crack the shell and grow again. The hell with just surviving anymore.

My focus this next few months is going to be about feeling again. How do I rejuvenate?

To start I force myself to try new things. Experiences over things are the foundation I believe.

I have registered at two gyms and have both making a workout plan that's reasonable for someone who has not moved much in a decade. Why two? Because I need a lot of encouragement! Lol

So fitness it a key rejuvenating ingredient.

Next up is a social aspect. Getting to meet new sober people. The toughest it seems for many here. But I will give it a whirl. What have I got to lose huh?

So that's what's up with Weasel. Getting ready to step off once again. Getting my sea legs.

If you are in survival mode don't stay there any longer than you need. Rejuvenate. It's the next step in my sobriety.

Ken

Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great post Ken. I'm glad you're moving forward and taking positive steps towards where you want to be. In terms of the social aspect, have you tried looking on the Meetup website for sober meetups/social groups in your neighbourhood? Might be worth a shot.

And I love Pinky and the Brain...brain, brain, brain, brain...
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to see things are going so well for you! Once a person stops the change can be miraculous.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Ken, you seem so together. All the best for the rebuilding phase.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks feelingGreat. That's just it. I hide everything. So I need to really get myself together now. Time to make the inside match the outside. Need to feel again.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It;s good to hear from you Ken.
Best wishes with the next layer of the ol' onion skin

D
Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ken, I guess the bits you mould now will be your choice , the drink can't preform things for you! So what excitement lays ahead , stick to your chosen path and have a great sober fun and love filled year.
John.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

xxx
Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go get it Ken! you deserve every bit of the happiness you seek. hugs. please check in again about this.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are going to be fine Ken, you have made careful positive decisions to improve your life, you have been building a solid foundation instead of jumping off a cliff...
2 gyms? Lol.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Yes... Two gyms. The gym at work is excellent and better than anything open to the public anywhere close to here. The other is for the weekends. I figured they can get me coming and going. God knows I need to. Not in bad shape (yes I am roundish....) but health is more about what we can't see and I need to get the inside working right. The liver is still not well.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ken good stuff!

I'm with you on the 2 gyms...one in the office and one for the weekends.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is very encouraging to hear, Ken. You inspire us all around here. To realize that you have been empty inside for the past couple years, yet have given so much to us all here--it's the coolest! May you experience much richness in the months to come!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome post Ken! You sound so positive and you aren't hiding everything now. You shared something valuable and that is a beautiful thing.

Now I just wish some of your gym motivation would come my way.

Thank you.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yawp!