Notices

confused!

Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confused!

Hi everyone,,i'm new here.30 yrs old,,22 days sober,,to be honest, i just had a 90 days plan(!),,telling myself my problem isn't alcoholism and maybe i just need some time to get myself together,,but now, after reading some stories here,,i don't know,,not sure anymore what's going on!does it really mean that i have to stop drinking for good?it seems impossible for me even thinking about it makes me so sad,i'm confused.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Most people who come here are looking to stop drinking for good. I don't know of anyone who's succeeded in drinking moderately, I sure didn't.

If alcohol is causing you any problems, why not quit completely for three months and see how you're doing then.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome aistar

if you don;t mind me asking, what did you think your problem was?

D
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Aistat...welcome! I know how daunting "forever" seems....I too couldn't imagine my life without drinking. But I just hit 9 months, and I can see how wonderful life is without it.

Because...before I quit, alcohol was all I had, or all I cared about anyway. Now I can clearly see how many good things life holds if I can just focus on really living it:-)

Hope you stick with us!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR aistar. I'm glad you joined us.

I never wanted to give up alcohol - it had once been a lot of fun. I tried really hard to control the amounts I drank, but it never worked. It was destroying my life & I had to let it go. I hope being here will help you decide what needs to happen This is a great place for support & friendship.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-02-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many of us become alcoholics in an attempt to self-medicate other problems. Then, we find we still have to deal with the other problems and on top of that, we need to stop drinking. That was my situation.

We do understand how hard this is.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have tried so hard every week to get at least one, sometimes 2 days under my belt with no alcohol. Had 6 weeks sober back in the spring, can't seem to do it again. Not making excuses, but feel right now like my life is just on hold. Moved into crappy apartment, former landlords being real jerks, have a boring crappy job I don't like that has good benefits but doesn't pay much. Feel like I'm treading water, Sun-Weds. work noon to 10 PM. Only get together with best friend with benefits very seldom, feel good when I'm with him but he's more screwed up than I am. Have 3 whole days in a row off every week and just waste them getting wasted. So bored. Need to get off my butt and start making a new life for myself. I know it can be done, there are so many of you doing it on this board. Sorry just needed to vent. I just haven't gotten to the point where I can see myself without alcohol forever yet, either.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your support,
I know alcohol is causing me problems.,,the last 8-9 months i drank almost everyday(heavy drinks)and i thoght if i quit completely for three months ,that means i'm not an alcoholic and i can try to drink like a normal person,,now i'm on day 22 and i feel great,,
Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ahhh airstar , I was just like this back in May of 2013!! And let me tell you what happend .. I quit to prove to myself I wasn't a alcoholic! 30 days I was good I had proven my point , to myself , therapist, and others that were concerned of my drinking .. I was like see I'm good no worries.. Then I went back to drinking because I can drink like normal people!! Well needless to say this went on into late sept.. Ended up in the psych ward .. Then rehab following after that.. Crashed my car twice while intoxicated after rehab.. And still was under the impression I was normal ! Finally got my ass in gear have been attending AA and using a sponsor .. 27 days sober from my last drink! I hope you really can drink like a normal person! But you may want to really take a hard look as to why you are even comparing yourself to a normal drinker????

Best of luck!!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AISTAR - I came here Dec 2012 but didnt really know what I wanted. Giving up alcohol forever seemed inconceivable. Not surprising nothing changed for me. That all or nothing mind set just set me up to fail.

In the back of my mind I still knew there was an unaddressed issue with alcohol.

Now I'm back and I'm trying to avoid the all or nothing mindset. I'm not drinking today. That's all I'm doing today. I'm hoping tomorrow to have more motivation. It's going to be a process for me.

I'm just not at a place where I can jump in quite yet.

I'm not going to beat myself up about it either.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I was so scared to give up but it was easier than I expected. Best thing I ever did. Staying stopped was the problem but I got there eventually. If I could do it, believe me, anyone can xx
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's good! Beating yourself up doesn't do any good! I will pray for you my friend ! Your not alone! And all anyone has is today!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to the club, aistar.

I have a different angle that I'll take on your question....

Why do you think you NEED to drink? I'm not being a smart a** but if you have 22 days now, you have an excellent start. Why go back?

You are still young with lot's of life ahead of you. You are feeling good..... do you think that alcohol will give you something positive in your life?

I sure wish I could go back to when I was your age and stop drinking. My life would be very different than it is now and much BETTER! Instead I continued drinking for another 25 years and wasted some of my best years because I was too busy drinking.....

Just something to think about.....
Old 02-03-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thnx,,you guys are awesome,,,things are getting more clear now,,that's what i'm gonna do,,i'm gonna stick to the 90 days plan and see how i'm doing then,i think i need to learn,,and share,,i'm really glad i found SR,feels like a right place to be.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

during those 90 days.... it can't hurt to go to some AA meetings, get a copy of the Big Book and read it.

Look at it as research. No commitment is needed and your only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking - which you have already said you have for 90 days anyway.

So... check it out. Listen to what people's experiences have been. Read about alcoholism. Read the personal accounts at the back of the book. Ask yourself - honestly - how it applies to you.

You have nothing to lose and your life to gain. The research won't hurt you - it will just arm you with more insight to decide for yourself what is happening for you personally.

Best of luck to you, and we're here for you.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hi everyone,,just a short update :

25 days alcohol free, 1 day stop smoking!
today is a hard day for me,,
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Aistar, when I plucked up the courage to tell my hubby about my drinking, I asked him now he would feel if he was told he could never drink again. He said ' a bit miffed, but it wouldn't be the end of the world' I said 'That's the difference right there, I can't conceive of a future without drink, which is how I know I have a problem. That was nearly 11 months of sobriety ago, and coming here was the best move I ever made.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Still here,,,
33 days no alcohol
9 days no nicotine

I feel great,,i can breathe again,,but i have a major sugar craving!I never liked sugar even in coffee,,is this normal?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm on day 11 and my sweet tooth is insatiable! I never really liked sweets before, just occasionally. I'm trying to quench it with fruit instead of sugary snacks, don't want to put back on the weight I am losing congrats!