SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Opiate question..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/32155-opiate-question.html)

angelgirl 06-20-2004 09:49 PM

Opiate question.....

Hey there, well it has been 17 days as of today that I have not used. My DOC is percocet, or any other pain killer I could get my hands on. I have been doing ok, not craving to much, but the pain still comes and goes from the opiate receptors I believe they are still crying for pain meds. In the last
3 1/2 years, the longest I was clean was 3 months, and of course, most of my life in the last 3 1/2 years are a big blank, black out. I do not remember much about how long it took for me to feel more normal. I am tired after not a whole lot of work, I feel not sleepy tired, but physically tired. I also wish the pain would go away, but it's my reminder of what I have done,a nd where I don't want to go again. Can anyone who has been clean of opiates tell me when energy comes back, and when the pain lessens? Because I don't remember, or maybe it never got better in the 3 months. I don't know. Somedays I just want to feel normal. Thanks, Becky

mrsmaclin 06-20-2004 11:45 PM

Well my DOC was percocets the time before this one and I stopped using for 7 months It took me about 2 months to totally feel normal You have to take vitamins and drink plenty of water. I started off taking 2 one a day women only for a week. you have to quickly put back what has been loss. and you will feel better.

Ayesha

Ann25 06-21-2004 04:43 AM

Welcome....

Hi my name is Ann--my doc was pain meds for about 2 1/2 years! It took me a long time to feel "normal". (if thats what you call it) I detoxed off them on my own--VERY STUPID!!!! I thought I was going to die!! Ended up in the hospital! Once the initial pain and sickness went away I was very tired for about 2 or 3 months but I wasnt taking care of myself--if you havent--go to your doctor, get a physical-make sure the pills didnt do your body harm-and if possible tell your doctor about your use--because they will know more about what to look for. For me I also suffered depression and went on a antidepressant--works wonders!!!!!
Did you go to detox/rehab? If you did then you are one step ahead of me--
Hope you feel better soon--hold on--dont give up--you WILL get better.

Dawn10 06-21-2004 04:55 AM

It is hard to remember, but I think it was a couple of months before I felt really good physically. I too, went on antidepressants and that helped me alot. I also was in weekly therapy with an addicitions therapist and did the 12 step meetings. All combined, kept me going both physically and emotionally fairly well. One of the things both my therapist and my sponsor told me that REALLY helped me was to do something different each day out of the routine I had been in while using. AS addicts we become so imeresed in using and the routines that go along with using that by conciously making the effort to be different, we can train our mind to avoid that craving. For me, I used after I came home from work, so I would watch TV and wait for the effects of the pills to kick in. Once I stopped using I made an effort to do something after work, even as simple as getting groceries, washing the car, etc, and it helped.
I hope you are under medical care, because it will be so much easier for you in the long run. Keep on keeping on! :shades:

eddie z. 06-21-2004 09:30 AM

Becky,
I'd say, if you're like me (and the others, too, apparently), it takes about 6-8 weeks to get over the pain part. You can help things along by EXERCISING! This causes your body to produce endorphins, internal painkillers which "replace" the external ones you were taking. I had a chronic pain condition "treated" with oxycodone (like in Percocet) for about 4 years and when I stopped the opiates, the pain got worse before it got better, but it DID resolve completely after a couple of months. I haven't had to take anything other than Tylenol or ibuprofen in about a year and a half! So hang in there and get some exercise, OK?
Love, Eddie