Notices

Shadows of Glum

Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shadows of Glum

Day 36

I'm grateful today to be sober. Apart from a little twinge here and there of sadness or regret at not being 'able' to drink that arises when I see images of drinking sometimes, or when talk or thought of drinking situations arise, I'm mostly not having any struggle with the not drinking part.

Been feeling pretty good all around, actually.

But the past few days have been chased with shadows of glum. A slight sadness or sense of doom that may come from work issues or stress or something but I'm just not even sure. Just feeling down and a little weary and I'm not sure why.

Maybe that's just 'life happening' and one of those things I may have used vodka to chase away in the past. Maybe it's a regular, predictable stage of recovery - though I don't recall it happening my first attempt at sobriety quite like this.

Anyway. Today I'll put one foot in front of the other and try and reframe and focus on the good stuff and let this sense of glum be there without judgement and see if perhaps it just passes with time....

felt the need to share it. Thanks all.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 36!

Great advice you gave yourself. Learning to not judge our emotions is key in this process. Thanks for the reminder & for your share.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday, freeowl. I'm deep in the middle of the grey cloud blahs, too - a night of crazy dreaming triggered something and I woke like this. In my short 100-ish days sober, I've learned that the blahs will come and go...I think it's chemical and emotional, our brains and bodies repairing themselves, settling into a new way of being. Search for PAWS and read about the 2nd round of withdrawal fun! luckily, the glum passes. I like your 'one foot in front of the other' approach. I'm going to try that today. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hang on to the positives in your life. This will pass with time.

Congrats on 36 days sober!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks all... I went to roller derby practice. I had lunch with a friend and associate. I went to a book store and got my girlfriend's mom a book. I feel a little better. Still glum-ish but it seems to have helped to just openly talk about the feelings here and to my girlfriend and my friend at lunch.

I think it's a whole concert of things that just all swirl around... the stuff of life, you know. But today it all seemed to converge and feel really heavy and cumbersome. But, I don't have to drink over it. I don't have to run from it. And it's a sunny beautiful day and I'm sober and healthy and have love in my life and a lot of blessings alongside the tougher stuff.... so, Life is Good.

Even in goodness, emotions are funny things and they can rise and fall and sometimes hit us unexpectedly.

Thank you for you comments.