Notices

How to cope with a drinker in the house

Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to cope with a drinker in the house

Just a thought, I have been sober now for 20 days and will stay that way now but why wife still drinks wine a couple of time a week. She did out of respect ask me if I would mind and I said no and it doesn't bother me at all to my surprise. I wondered how the community would cope with this?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Different people react in different ways. Some people would find it hard, and believe that support from a spouse should extend to not drinking....

others believe we have to get used to being around drinkers - it's our problem not theirs.

D
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee. My wife continues to drink, although she is very discrete about it and doesn't keep alcohol anywhere where I can see it. If she was storing it in the fridge or somewhere public, it would be more of a problem. Do I wish she would stop drinking completely? I'll be honest and say, "yes". But I understand that I cannot control another human being. As long as she is considerate and supportive of my sobriety - which is certainly is - I feel that's all I can ask. If it becomes too much of an issue for me down the road, I guess we'll need to make decisions together about how to proceed. But, like Dee said, the world is filled with drinkers and you can't interacting with them all...
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats what I thought we need to be stong when we are out temptaion will always be around us so my take was "start as I mean to continue" as you say its not her problem so why should I make her suffer for my issues.