Notices

Urges by the clock?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Urges by the clock?

Do you have urges that come at pretty much the same time of day, everyday?

I am just now realizing that many of the strongest urges I have had over the last week come at the same time of day, almost to the minute. Rather than having triggers, associated with events, it's a timing thing.

Around 4 pm every day I have an incredible urge to drink, like to hell with everything. my brain is a battleground, one voice saying lets just tie one on, the other saying rather weakly to just hold on a sec.

But the good news seems to be that they disappear by the clock too. Around 7 pm, the storm has passed. Good to go until tomorrow, and feeling quite pleased to boot.

In some strange way that's kind of comforting. I know that when the urge starts, it's ok, I can set my clock and know that it'll pass. Just need to white knuckle it for a few hours.

It's about 11 pm now on a Saturday so this would be the "I'm feeling good about myself" phase.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely! My urges, if I have them, come around 5 p.m., the time I used to open the wine, and they last till I eat dinner. No coincidence there! You're right, it is strangely comforting, because the more days we remain sober the less threatening that time of day becomes! Soon, I hope, our days will more often than not be seamless. I think that is possible!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheMiddlePath View Post
Do you have urges that come at pretty much the same time of day, everyday?.
Yes - that is a major sign of alcoholism. I also had them by the clock, but I don't so much anymore. Hang in there! At the beginning I ate a lot if ice cream during those craving hours. It worked!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar to me. I would associate a certain time with drinking and it was at that time when I had my worst urges. I found as you have that once the "witching" hour is over I am a lot better. But it would be a struggle during that time. It does get better over time, the longer you go sober you are retraining your brain.

Kind of like the alarm clock. Even when I don't set my clock to 6 a.m. during the week I still wake up then because my body is used to it and tells me it is time to wake up. My mother, who for years got up at the same time every day, sleeps in late now that she is retired. It took her quite some time to get over the habit.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TheMiddlePath those "same time of day" urges tend to follow the pattern of when we used to drink or anticipate drinking. If you live and work a typical day 4pm is going to be the time of day when you are starting to tire and look forward to the evening, so AV makes a jump because your defences are down.

Help yourself as much as possible by getting eight hours of sleep and eating well at each meal. If it works in your day get a jump on 4pm with a break for a few minutes and something hot to drink.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The urges go away for the most part over time. They really do.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did for the first few weeks. As soon as I'd get on the bus home from work the craving would kick in. I would normally either have purchased booze on my way to the bus, or when I get off the bus.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely, I don't think it's a coincidence that "Happy Hour" is traditionally held between 4 and 6!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took years of training my body and mind to get used to its first drink between 5-7pm. They had become conditioned and expected alcohol at that time. It takes time to undo that training I'm afraid. It passed after the first 3-4 weeks for me. The problem, then, is to always stay vigilant...which, alas, I learned the hard way.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Renarde, last week I happened to try a dish of ice cream during an urge and after about 15 minutes it did take the edge off. Tried it again last night with the same result. That's interesting you did the same thing.

Thank you, all, for sharing. I'm so happy to hear that others have felt this and that it will subside over time. Maybe even in a few months! As usual, SR to the rescue.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheMiddlePath View Post
Renarde, last week I happened to try a dish of ice cream during an urge and after about 15 minutes it did take the edge off. Tried it again last night with the same result. That's interesting you did the same thing.

Thank you, all, for sharing. I'm so happy to hear that others have felt this and that it will subside over time. Maybe even in a few months! As usual, SR to the rescue.
I had those same urges on the weekends, or when a certain time of day would hit... or when i started traveling with my job again, and thank God, I knew how to handle them... I called my Sponsor who told me to get on my knees and ask God to relieve this obsession of the mind, and then get my ass to a meeting, and share on it. The weight off my shoulders just by telling a group of understanding people that I was thinking about drinking, was huge. Also, the mental obsession does lift. I had to pray when they would arise (i also applied this same practice to my quitting smoking). Once you surrender, the sanity returns. Good luck and yes keeping coming back
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Absolutely, I used to get one in the middle of the afternoon like clockwork. I found it weird cos I usually only started drinking at 6, but I figured that was the time of day I started planning my drinking. That specific craving passed with time though.