Notices

Partying sober?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Partying sober?

Sobriety is the best decision of my life so far. Still life should maybe sometimes have exciting and interesting times. So I was thinking how do you people party sober? And I have no intention really going near places where alcohol is served, but this is more a brainstorm for possibly 'new' ways to party, sober.

One thing I know I still like similar music I used to when I was drinking. It would be interesting to get to or host a sober party of some kind. Last time I did this was as a child. I've no doubt it can be done.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add that this if anything show that sobriety is working something right. You know I used to think that I'm really social and outgoing, but I'm actually highly anxious socially and putting an image of myself online would nearly cause a panic attack, or even talking about myself. Now, not as much, which is definite progress... but I give you the ball, talk about partying sober... thank you.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do lots of things socially since getting sober - cards, movies, dinner, fishing - but I no longer call it "partying" as that word seems inappropriate to me.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

me and my friends will often get together and listen to music, play some music ourselves and generally hang out -we don't call it partying either - that's for you young whippersnappers, dagnabbit

D
Old 02-01-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Semi-young whippersnapper here...I don't call it partying either (too fueled for me). I call it "going out" "going to a party" "meeting up with friends" - you catch my drift. How do I do it? I bring soda water when I used to bring wine, I order soda water when I used to order wine, sometimes I spice it up with lime or grapefruit juice. I've found that hanging out with people who are "partying" (drinking to get drunk) is not for me anymore. I prefer conversation and substance over slobbery, slurring people.

Going to shows to see music is a good way to still hang out with your friends and focus on something other than booze. I like your idea of hosting a sober party, maybe games night or movies?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I have been to a few sober BBQs and parties. I haven't been to any dances but I do know that around here they have them and there is a sober-stock (like Woodstock) around.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still go to parties and concerts. I've even been to Burning Man and burner events and I had more fun because I was fully present. I quit drinking over two years ago and it took me several months before I was ready to go out. But eventually, when I was strong enough, I ventured back out into the social world. I don't go on these adventures every weekend or anything, but I definitely still go out and it's still totally great. And now I spend way less money, wake up bright-eyed, and remember every single moment of the night before. xoxox
Old 02-01-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I really enjoy live music. I went to a concert tonight and while alcohol was being served and consumed in large quantities, I have no desire to drink. I can focus on the music, avoid trips to the bar or bathroom and I remember the show much more clearly. I will admit that after a while, standing in a crowd of drinkers get's a little hard to take. I now realize how bad the breath of a drinker is!!

I also enjoy watching concert DVD's at home with the sound played on my stereo. It is pretty amazing how many bands have live DVD's out and you can always check out a band you have never heard or seen before without shelling out big bucks for concert tickets and parking.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Totally, Hope! Avoiding trips to the bar bathroom is the best!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I stay away from any event where there will be alcohol. It's just not worth the risk to me.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't party in the way I used to. That is, I don't stay out until 2 am at a bar. I could, but it's too boring. The most I do these days is go to barbecues or other similar functions. The nightlife scene just doesn't do it for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't 'party', as a verb.. lol. That was much more high school/college for me. I do get together with friends for holidays or football games and such, but it's much more about the food and company
Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

I would always drink too much and become so focused on drinking I wouldn't be having a good time at parties. Things would start out fine but I would cross the line where I was drunk and then would pay for it for the next few days.

I am seven weeks into sobriety and have been to maybe 6 or 7 social situations. I've always made sure to bring extra non-alcoholic beverages. The nice part is I have been able to drive home. Usually, I was only a 'one way' driver; my wife accepted the role as the designated driver. Very selfish behavior.

I am looking forward to my brother's 50th birthday party on March 22nd and taking my wife to and from the event safely. My older siblings (youngest of 6) don't know I've quit. Usually, at these gatherings I would drink my face off and regret it. I can't wait to show them that their baby brother (I'm 44 by the way) has finally grown up.

Your family and friends are the party not the booze. We need to disassociate getting drunk with being at a party; most people do. The world is full of endless possibilities; drinking is only one activity we need to abstain from.

Blessings to all,

TC
Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Excellent ideas. I've been thinking in a similar way talking about partying, that more simple and calm things would usually be the activities to choose from. Still since I've never been to a rave before, and I intend to remain 100% sober (and don't really feel like bothering entering a rave with drunken people = not that good company imo), maybe there's something with activity such as a rave completely sober. It's a possibility and something to work on possibly.