Notices

There are a lot of us

Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There are a lot of us

I was talking to an old friend, someone I've known for 25 years. We were just having a nice catching up conversation and he remarked that he is a sober alcoholic. I was completely dumbfounded. I haven't seen this man for about 20 years. We never socialized too much, just were always friendly and conversational when we saw eachother. I guess I am not as alone as I thought. Sometimes I feel very alone as an alcoholic and it turns out that there are a ton of us! It kind makes me feel less tainted, if that makes any sense.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's an all too common problem with so many of us. The great thing is we can all support each others' recovery. Support is crucial to me and SR gave, and still gives me so much support.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's part of being human, I think, that we all struggle with something. We just do the best we can do.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reminds me of a friend of mine-the liquor store owner at one of the stores I bought my booze. And I bought a lot of booze there.
We were good friends. He even let me run a tab there. So, one day we're talking and I mentioned I'd thought I was drinking to much and would like to quit.
He reaches into his pocket and throws this odd looking quarter on the counter. I look at it and it says '25 years'.
I asked him what it was and he told me he's been in sober in AA for 25 years. Blew my mind.
Goes to show, you just never know.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know the real numbers but I guess only about 5% of the people in the US that need it have any recovery time. Sad.
If you want to be among people who understand you AA meetings are a great place, some meetings < 5, some with hundreds depends on the location.
For a WOW experience go to an AA conference and be awed during the moment of silence of thousands.

BE WELL
Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yeah... it does help... coming here helps... knowing we're "not alone".

Even though logically, I know it. There are millions in the world who don't drink. Also millions who don't drink because they are alcoholic in recovery. Yet somehow it still manages to feel sometimes like I am "broken".

When really.... what it oughta feel like is strength. Because it takes strength to face life on life's terms and from a certain angle - the need to drink at all, regardless how much, can be seen as a certain form of weakness.

What a trick our minds can play - telling us we're somehow lesser....
Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Years ago when I'd be drinking at a party or some place, I couldn't understand the people who didnt drink with the rest of us so I'd ask any sober person why, and some of them would say they were allergic to alcohol. Looking back I realize some of them were likely sober alcoholics..Even back then, I never pressured non-drinkers to drink. I dont understand why people do that.