Notices

new to the forum, just a bit about my situation

Old 02-01-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to the forum, just a bit about my situation

Hello everyone,
Im a 22 year old alcoholic from Newfoundland, Canada. found out recently i have elevated liver enzymes and still am not totally sober, i have however went from drinking 5-6 days a week (8-12 a day) to 1 day a week and i feel great when im sober I want to stop altogether because i basically cannot stop once i start. having a few is impossible for me. It a good feeling when you can get up in the morning feeling refreshed and not having to worry about if you made an a** out of yourself the night before. I started drinking at a very young age, as it is kind of accepted to be a heavy drinker in small town Newfoundland. I am thinking about trying a rehab center but am kind of nervous about how this will effect my job and other things. my father is an alcoholic as well, however he has slowed his drinking down alot over the years and is doing real well with a good paying job, loving wife, ect. sorry for the long post, but its nice to communicate with other people who are going through the same kinda thing you are.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome metalhead! I'm so happy you found us - this is a wonderful community for support & friendship.

I couldn't stop once I started either. I tried over the years to use willpower, but there was never any control. I didn't consciously start out to get drunk - but that's how it always ended up. You're only 22 - I commend you for seeing what needs to happen while you're still young. I wish I had done what you're doing - my life would've been very different. Glad you are here.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Yes, the not being able to stop once I started drinking was the problem I had. It's great that you've cut down your drinking and are planning to stop. You will find lots of support here.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for kind words guys. This place is just what i needed.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey bud, I am Canadian also and I can relate to your situation. It's really great you have admitted to yourself that you have a problem so early. I think you have a good chance at recovery.

I am still trying.. I got really drunk last night and have drank for the past four nights. I plan to stay clean this weekend and take one at a time after that.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Sorense
same thing happened to me a few months ago, drank a quart of rum a day for a week. Felt real bad coming down from that one. but sense my liver scare I've managed to keep my drinking somewhat under control, but all it takes is 1 drink and ill end up having 15. Excited to be 100% sober hopefully in the near future
Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR metalhead

D
Old 02-01-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very friendly and supportive site. And we're here any time of day or night. I'm glad you joined the family.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome, Metalhead xx
Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find support here of people that have been trough similar.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-01-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

At 22 I had already had many blackout drunks and loads of heavy heavy drinking times. I also was able to hold it together and didn't drink all the time.... wasn't daily... etc.

Gave myself lots of "evidence" that it was all normal and not a problem. Now I'm 41 and finally serious about sobriety.... two divorces, two DUIs and tens of thousands of dollars later. Maybe even hundreds....

I think you're really blessed to be looking at this the way you are at your age and I truly believe that your life ahead will be far richer in sobriety.

wishing you the best!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome to SR, its great you are working towards a healthier way of living
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Metalhead....my fellow Canuck! You are onto a good thing coming onto SR. Sounds like you are doing great. Take things one day at a time. You can do this. You are worth it!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I found it impossible to cut down. I used to drink around 12 cans of strong lager a night, when a friend suggested I cut down to 4 a night, I couldnt do it. That was when I first got concerned. I can tell you, I was a lot older than 22 years old.

Welcome to SR, lots of support and experience here.