SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Re-Howdy all (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/32139-re-howdy-all.html)

degadar 06-20-2004 04:20 PM

Re-Howdy all

I feel like a newcomer so I thought I'd say hi here. I'm up for the one year sober soon now I'm still getting better by the day - some days now though I forget to say "I'm so glad I don't drink" but that's only from time to time. I hope everyone here is well, I'm busy packing - moving house, sort of symbolic really.ow

I'm sure I wouldn't have made it without reading and chatting here in SR back in November or December last year so thanks to everyone. who was about then, and Hi to everyone else.

ps. still have a dozen bottles of beer in the back of the fridge which will finally go in the bin next week.

Deg.

Dan 06-20-2004 04:26 PM

Cool!

Anna 06-20-2004 04:56 PM

Hi Degadar,

It's good to see you back and to hear that things are moving along well. Congratulations on your year and I'm glad you reconnected with SR. I've been sober awhile now too and it's really an ongoing journey and a great experience. Keep in touch.

Love, Anna

Chy 06-20-2004 07:41 PM

Welcome home!

degadar 06-21-2004 10:11 AM

Hi Dan, Anna, Chy thanks for saying Hi. Hope you're all well. I'm going from strength to strength now and without SR I would probably have slipped.

All the best

Deg.

Dan - Excelent book!

JaySee 06-21-2004 10:37 AM

Hi Deg

JC here - down in Devon. Hi and congrats on the sobriety.

Dan 06-21-2004 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by degadar
Dan - Excelent book!

Huh? Might that be the one I've recommended a few times...
"Addicted, tales from the belly of the beast".
http://www.greystonebooks.com/gs_book_details.asp?b=703

degadar 06-21-2004 03:35 PM

Hi JC - good to see you - I like devon, just difficult to cope with your feisty ladyfolk down there... must be something in the water , or the cheese on the chips that does it? I get down there from time to time.

Sorry Dan, I could have sweared you had a signature with a quote from Saint Exupery's The Little Prince. But maybe i was just a bit too tired with too many coffees inside me. Ever read Vol de Nuit (night flight?) no one ever has . So me and the voices have to discuss it alone - don't we guys?

How are you all doing ?

2dayzmuse 06-21-2004 03:39 PM

Hi Degadar...Talia :wavey: Welcome, and nice to meet you. :D

Dan 06-21-2004 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by degadar
Sorry Dan, I could have sweared you had a signature with a quote from Saint Exupery's The Little Prince. But maybe i was just a bit too tired with too many coffees inside me. Ever read Vol de Nuit (night flight?) no one ever has . So me and the voices have to discuss it alone - don't we guys?

:lmaoI see now! Yes, my sig is from Saint Exupery. The sigs disappear as a thread gets longer now. I have read Vol de Nuit.

A Monsieur Didier Daurat
I can talk to myself at length about St-Ex!

degadar 06-21-2004 03:58 PM

Hi Talia, lovely name. Nice to meet you too - I'm sort of back here for a small reminder of what I'm doing and where I've traveled in the sobriety journey over the past year. How's it going for you? I still feel better by the day and took back at old photographs of me two years ago and see how physically as well was mentally wrecked I was. You should see me now, lol! well physically much improved, lighter by a fair bit, and I'm calm and alert in the way that I thought I was - only when I was drinking.

I so nearly lost everything - career, family, the works but now , smiling , I've got everything a guy could want (maybe apart from the Rolex) Sorry - I'm like Ned Flanders at a preachathon. LOL!

1Marty 06-21-2004 07:37 PM

Hey Degadar,I'm Marty! Thanks for letting us know what its like at1 yr! I just love to hear that there is hope. Often I get too distracted. My faith weakens. I forget how our lives can improve if we put forth the effort.

degadar 06-21-2004 08:37 PM

Hi Marty, It gets easier as time goes on. The trick for me was to become immune to temptation and treat alcohol with the contempt that any hydrocarbon deserves. It's just a chemical that I choose not to drink - hey, a bit like bleach, diesel oil or fruit tea. The subconscous only hears positive things so if you say 'I must not drink alcohol' over and over again - unfortunately only the last two words get processed.

I've just posted my story for you all to have a laugh at - it's a few days earlier than the one year, but I'm a rebel. LOL! actually I loose the broadband for three weeks as I move house and BT has to find an engineer with a screwdriver.

You won't loose faith Marty.

Deg.

Dan - Wow! the only other person on the planet who's read vol de nuit.