Notices

Not Rock Bottom, but why wait?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Rock Bottom, but why wait?

Recognizing that I'm in a whirlpool and moving faster towards the center and down the drain, I believe I need do slow down or stop drinking. I don't have "horror story" to motivate me, but rather declining health, increased aging (I'm 49) and drinking as hobby.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JT

I don't think it's necessary to hit the ground with a resounding splat in order for us to quit. If your drinking is causing you problems, I think you're wise to join us now.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why wait indeed! I've often thought...if I found out I had stage 2 cancer, would I wait until I found out it was stage 4 before I did something about it?

People talk about "bottoms," but your bottom is when you decide that enough is enough. Does it matter if you don't have a terror-filled story to tell? I don't think so.

Welcome to SR! Congratulations on deciding that you are ready to put alcohol behind you and live a sober life. It could be the very best decision you've ever made.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, JTKirk!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, This is a great place to start your journey with great resources and people.

Exactly why wait for rock bottom, a lot of people never make it back from rock bottom.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi JTKirk, welcome to SR
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Glad you are here with us JT... you have made the right call.

Avoid all the trouble that can come from trying to find the bottom and step into the light of sobriety now!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome JT. I didn't hit "rock bottom" either and feel very fortunate to have recognized I have a problem before things got really bad.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi JT, same boat as you (and close to same age). No DUI, no financial or work issues, no family issues, essentially no rock bottom. I've been very lucky so far! I'm basically just sick of constantly feeling like crap and having alcohol navigate my life. I just know that if I keep this up, something real bad is bound to happen in the form of major health issue, DUI, or whatever! I'm choosing not to wait for that day! Good luck and you will find tons of support here!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome JT. After a lot of procrastination I realized, in a moment of semi clarity, that alcohol is far from being a health drink. I figure that the less one drinks then stops the quicker recovery kicks in.

BE WELL
Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am one of those (sometimes confounding) high bottom alcoholics. Increased social awareness of problem drinking seems to be paying off.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LDT

How I wish I wouldn't have had my own terror filled rock bottom. Everyone's "bottom" is different. You are very wise to pay attention now!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
How I wish I wouldn't have had my own terror filled rock bottom. Everyone's "bottom" is different. You are very wise to pay attention now!
Absolutely agree xx
Old 02-01-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been trying to get sober for years, and I think I posted on here that I had no clearly defined "rock bottom". I was a functional alcoholic, always made it to work, was very dependable, was relatively healthy. So I kept going back out to drink...Now I got a DUI to deal with. I wish I would have figured out this program before that happened. Welcome. Hang around!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I wouldn't recommend slowing down your drinking, I would recommend stopping it completely.

I've used the circling the drain metaphor before, I've been there. You're right, the downward spiral starts to go faster and faster and the recovery from a night of alcohol abuse gets slower and slower. Eventually those two trend lines intersect and in order to feel "normal" you need to keep a certain level of alcohol in your system 24/7. How screwed up is that?

I'm a few years older then you and fortunately I'm sober and now in great health. I exercise (run or play tennis) several times a week. So I believe good health can still be attained despite years of alcohol abuse and physical neglect. And the positive effects of sobriety on one's mental state are wonderful.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

JT ... There is only one Rock Bottom. Death.

We have a remarkable capacity to rationalize drinking at any stop along the way. Don't waste another day. I'm 53 and quit in October (passed 100 days this week!). It was difficult at first, but it has gotten easier. My life has changed in so many ways for the better. It's hard to believe that it took so long for me to give sobriety a chance.

It sounds like you know you need to quit, although you might be scared of a life without alcohol. Roam the hallways of this site, read stories of struggle and success, and post as you are moved. This place has played a huge part in my sobriety.

I'm glad you found us. Welcome.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome JT Kirk. (love the name )

You're smart to quit drinking. I only wish I'd quit earlier than I did. My life is so much better now that I'm sober.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am amazed with both the number of responses to my post and the quality and thoughtfulness of your comments. Thank you. It's been 11 days and now my second weekend. Super Bowl weekend no less. Weekends are where I've concentrated my drinking as escape, reward, something to do. I already have more energy, concentration. Feel very tired and aches, which is probably a good sign of physical rebuilding and repair.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I'm always happy for the people that make a decision to turn their lives around with out the law, spouse, health or job on weighing on their backs