Notices

Total Stupid Failure for no reason

Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Total Stupid Failure for no reason

So I got on here the other day and stated that I had had one beer. We all know where this is going: I got trashed that night and last night.

After 18 days of sobriety, one beer led to my demise. This was not something I was expecting. I literally had one beer, realized im an idiot for drinking and left. That's where it went downhill.

So here I am going through detox. How did two days of drinking force me to go through alcohol withdrawal? I'm not happy either way.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take this as a further affirmation that sobriety is the better choice for you.

Don't beat yourself up. Recognize what happened and honestly stare it in the face so that you don't let any inner alcoholic voice sugarcoat it.

Then ask yourself, deeply and honestly, "Am I ready to do whatever it takes to stop this, or must I fall further.... am I going to keep this up until things get really, really, REALLY bad?"

Sit still a while, breathe, hold that question and listen to the answers.... you'll probably hear more than one if you listen closely. But one will be the real you and one will be the alcoholic you....

you don't have to stay on the merry-go-round.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
After 18 days of sobriety, one beer led to my demise.
Maybe it was the beer. Or a failure to put a recovery program in place to deal with the relapse led to your fallback position--more drinking.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You aren't "demised." You can always start over. You have even more confirmation that you shouldn't drink alcohol at all. Most all of us kept trying, some for many years, before we finally were convinced that we cannot drink responsibly.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks suki. I certainly did not intend to drink. It just kind of happened... It's my own fault. The only saving grace in all this is that my detox isnt full blows scary this time.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Justin- go easy, you are human.

The trick is to take action, and plan so that the same thing doesn't keep on happening.

A big step for me was admitting A lot of my thinking was suspect and supported drinking in one way or another.

Committing unconditionally to sobriety provides a good anchor/ reference point- as i drift I can keep a handle on "where i am at" - its not "giving up" its embracing something new - its a major step but can happen suddenly
Old 01-31-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm just glad you made it back so fast Brother. Learn and grow man.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Thank you for posting this

I am sorry that you are starting over Justin. I believe this was a lesson that you needed to learn and now you know.... you CANNOT drink normally. This makes the answer easy to see, just don't take that first drink.

I appreciate you posting this as a warning to other folks who are thinking about drinking again. I really hope that you will pull yourself up, dust yourself off and try again. You CAN win this battle.

I hope you start feeling better soon.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Justin, Glad you got back on. I read that post about you drinking a beer. Crazy how one beer can do that.
YOU ROCK and realized this was not what you wanted. You are on the road, just hit a pothole. Glad you did not leave for good...
Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My doctor told me I wouldn't need benzos, so I'm doing this cold turkey. I have no blood pressure issues, but i have pretty high anxiety. (this could be because I got used to not having alchol. Who knows?)

Thanks for all the posts everyone
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just a blip, you'll be fine xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had many experiments with just one beer. All of it ended in carnage. Glad your back, stay strong and I hope you start to feel better soon.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this can be your last day one.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I hope this can be your last day one.
you and me both.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Staying sober for as long as you did took a lot strength and determination, so you have would you need start over Learn from your relapse and use it to your advantage. I really think you will be fine.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd go back and look at the detailed plan you came up with right before your last detox. It seemed like a good one, and its in your thread from that day. See if you either you need to add to it, or perhaps you didn't follow it completely?

You need to want it and work to get it...and you've proven you can for a while. Tweak your plan and work harder at it.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah I agree Scott. I mean two days isn't as long as I would have relapsed in the past, but I still can't keep going through detoxes once a month.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back Justin.

D
Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know that everyone is saying the same thing, but this is just teaching you that you can never drink in moderation. Better than dragging it out and convincing yourself otherwise. Welcome back. You can do it!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
Yeah I agree Scott. I mean two days isn't as long as I would have relapsed in the past, but I still can't keep going through detoxes once a month.
You don't have to keep going through them if you don't want to. Redouble your efforts and figure out what it is you missed last time. Maybe you need to avoid all situations where drinking is for a longer period. Perhaps you need something more structured like AA or SMART that holds regular meetings. Maybe you need counseling if IOP. If you really want to stay sober, there is a way you can do it...you are a smart guy.