Notices

23 year old alcoholic

Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face 23 year old alcoholic

hi guys

i am currently struggling to stay sober enough to attend 'pre treatment'. but my partner and i have come up with a plan...after the superbowl...we are going to drink 2% lager instead of 4/5% for a month then we are going to switch to non-alcohol lager and go from there! we have tried going sober cold turkey but it didn't work! i have more of a problem than my partner as he can go more than one day without alcohol whereas i can't....we are doing this non-AA as we don't believe in the 'higher power'...has anyone else done this?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sure I know where that business would have led me....

I wish you luck!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't tried that, but to me booze is booze is booze is booze. If I drank a lower percentage, I'd just end up drinking more...until I passed out. Stopping altogether and changing my lifestyle worked best for me. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't heard of that. Good luck Guys. Whatever works.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by dylanh1610Impos View Post
...we are going to drink 2% lager instead of 4/5% for a month then we are going to switch to non-alcohol lager and go from there! ...has anyone else done this?
Yeah, it's called drinking.

I hope you stick around and read a lot of posts and digest the information, advice and support you get here. Then realize that drinking to quit doesn't work for alcoholics. Only quitting works.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried many times to taper down my alcohol consumption but it never worked. Complete sobriety was the only way for me to go.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have to agree. I tried everything and the only thing that worked was abstaining completely. Trying to moderate was like teasing myself and a sort of torture. I wish you luck xxx
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh I so wanted to taper!!!! I was worried abput withdraw!! I planned it all out and tried my darndest. No luck.if I were to quit it was zero alcohol. Its how it had to work for me. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dylanh1610Impos

I have to agree with some of the others here - I tried everything - switching my beers down, alternating with glasses of water, driunking a brand I didn;t like...I still found I wanted to get wasted.

If you guys find that too you may have to consider that you're just prolonging the inevitable?

D
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Wouldn't have worked for me. The only reason I drank was to get black-out, stone-cold drunk, that's it. Sure, I tried to switch from vodka to beer. All that did was cause me to have to drink more drinks, drink faster and use the bathroom more.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your words guys :-) I do think that quitting completely is going to be the way to stop permanently but im going to try this way first as I came off speed and mdma cold turkey and it was horrible! :-)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I have tried that and I found I drank way more. I went from full strength beer to light beer and I drank it like water, then before I knew it I was back on the full strength and drinking it like crazy. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If I tried this approach the following would have happened: enter scene the hidden bottle when I went to the bathroom, went to get another 2% beer, or went to "investigate" a sound outside. I don't have control.

HOWEVER, if it will work for you then I wish you success!