Notices

My alcoholism has become workaholism!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry My alcoholism has become workaholism!

I'm 6 months into recovery and back in AA. I work 9-5 Mon-Fri and also have a second job working evenings and weekends. No joke but i am averaging 60 hours a week. Initially overtime was to clear my debts which it has done. I think in the back of my mind though I continue to do shifts because I do not trust myself evenings and weekends and work keeps me busy.
I really do enjoy going on the football but just lack trust in myself being in such an environment. My second job is really getting me tired and I am thinking of dropping it and learn to have a social life and not just work myself to death.
Anyone else been a workaholic when sobered up just to keep busy and away from the pub? I am really finding it unhealthy.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Some people just enjoy work, so that's fine if it keeps you occupied. But, on the other hand, if it's making you too tired (60 hours is a lot), can you not cut back the hours on your second job, (if you think you'll miss it, quitting completely) and get a hobby, go to classes, or just relax at the cinema or go out for meals? It takes a while to get into the swing of life without alcohol but you won't regret it xxxx xxxx
Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi KateL, yeh one option could be to cut the hours in second job down rather than quitting altogether. It is casual work supporting people with learning disabilties so if hours cannot be covered by permanent staff the casual staff can pick hours up.
I am thinking maybe the odd evening rather than every day. I like the job and not too stressful. I need to be more assertive and learn to say no when i am asked to cover shifts.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's really hard in support work roles to say no as staffing always seems to be an issue. Look after yourself if your getting too tired as fatigue in my opinion can make alcohol cravings worse. Well done for sorting out you debt! Must feel good!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a hard time saying no in the work place too. But, if you aren't taking care of you ad becoming fatigued, how will you be a benefit to the company/organization? Can't work too hard and not take time out for yourself. It will make you a better worker I think.