Notices

Four weeks....totally cured

Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would've been long into my second half pint by now and wondering if I'm sober enough to drive if it weren't for this site and the people on it. I'm thankful for each of you that responded and helped me keep that poison out of my body for one more day. It sure hasnt been easy but I guess it's not supposed to be. Back to my lemon water....
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

mmm lemon water we are all in this together friend. have a hot shower too, it combats the cold I have found. And do remember spring is fast on its way, February is a short month and then the warmth returns.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

However many times you ask the same question, you're gonna keep getting the same answers here, Flea

I've fallen for this one before.

I had 2 months - I figured one night would be fine - I'd sup moderately, have a good time, and I'd go back to sobriety in the morning...

I never stopped - over two years later I was still drinking, every day, and worse than I ever had been.

Underestimate this thing at your peril Flea.

D
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nothing sounds better than a cold beer and a buzz right now and it's been slightly over four weeks for me..not going to do it because I'm taking a break even though I've got myself convinced after being dry that I could drink normally. I can't
Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Stick with sobriety, MightyFlea. The voice of alcoholism is very seductive and convincing, but it's nothing but lies. I realised I was an alcoholic in 2008 and since then I have had varying lengths of sobriety. A factor in my relapses was the belief that I could just have one, or just drink for a night, and then stop. It didn't work.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's a lot of work, flea! I get what you're saying. It sucks we just... Can't.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Sometimes I found it helpful early on to just admit out loud that I missed it. It made it easier to CHOOSE to stay sober. Saying I wanted a drink didn't mean I was going to have one, it just reminded me that I was breaking a long term habit and that's not easy.

Flea, I'm glad you came to SR, vented, and made a great choice. Do that over and over and over

Friends at the bar I hung out at would say "I can't believe you just quit", like it happened overnight and was a piece of cake. They don't realize I am quitting every day, over and over, and it's hard work requiring conscious effort.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Three words sir: cunning baffling powerful
Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sometimes when you think you can't do something, you feel like you are missing out on something. By choosing to live a sober, more fulfilled life you are not missing out on any benefits - simply missing the uninhibited behavior followed by remorse and shame. For me sobriety is more fun.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
sometimes when you think you can't do something, you feel like you are missing out on something. By choosing to live a sober, more fulfilled life you are not missing out on any benefits - simply missing the uninhibited behavior followed by remorse and shame. For me sobriety is more fun.
+1
Old 02-01-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Many alcoholics have gone four weeks and then wanted alcohol and planned their next buzz.