Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

DO you ever feel influenced by other people's thoughts about drinking?

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bear with me here because I know it sounds a bit crazy.

I'm quite sensitive to other people's thoughts and feelings. For example, I walked up to a friend and was hit by a wave of dizziness and could hardly stand up. I mentioned it and he said that he suffered from vertigo and was undergoing a spell right then. My vertigo went away quickly.

Another time I walked into a room and collapsed on the floor with a sharp pain in my heart. I asked the person in the room what was wrong with their heart and they said they were having heart surgery the next day. After a few minute, my pain subsided and I was fine.

Yesterday, I was sitting in a cafe minding my own business. I had not had a drink in 32 days and I wasn't even tempted. The desire to drink was entirely gone. Then, I started wanting a drink more than anything. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. Then, a guy came out of the back office and called for someone to bring in some vodka.

So given my past experiences (and i've had many, not just the two posted above) I don't think I wanted to drink. I think I psychically or subconsciously picked up on the thoughts/feelings of the guy who wanted vodka.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

I'd like to add that I don't feel like drinking now. I was obsessing for a few hours but just had an early night instead.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not that empathetic. As far as influencing me, no. I don't care what others do or drink, I choose not to.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's interesting. Looks like it's not a coincidence either so maybe you're somehow psychically picking those things up. Personally I don't think I've been influenced by thoughts of others when it comes to drinking either.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely, some serious coincidences and or telepathy. My whole life.
My intuition was amazing when my kids were young. It is a gift and I believe it to be very real, I am not talking the mentalist here.
I also believe that in future we will see it explored further with some hard science answers.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I am fascinated xxxx
Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
I also believe that in future we will see it explored further with some hard science answers.
I say this to people all the time. I really believe the sixth sense is something that science will be able to measure and identify one day, like our other senses. I don't think it's mystical or woo-woo, just something science hasn't fully explored yet.

There is plenty of research of the effect of prayer and meditation on the brain. IMO, that's why the concept of a Higher Power or God works in 12 step programs. It's the belief and consistent action of turning to prayer (or positive affirmations, or any other positive action/thought) instead of booze that changes the pathways in the brain, rather than a specific concept of God.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow and agreed. It is truly interesting and I think there might be some branch of science that has already been able to measure thought waves or emotions. Which would mean that they are real things, with movement like properties. And somehow intercepting something like would operate like magnetism between energy fields... there is propably a substance, although invisible to the naked eye.

Truly fascinating.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Some resources here Books for Empaths - Empath Connection's Recommendations for empaths.