Notices

Got really, really close to drinking today. But didn't.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Got really, really close to drinking today. But didn't.

I've been looking for a new job for a while now, I need a change of scenery. Now, I have horrible handwriting. It looks like a child's and it tends to be hard to read. Something I've known for a long time is that my handwriting improves if I have a few drinks (not sure why). For this reason I like online applications and emailing typed resumes, but this hasn't been doing too much for me so I decided to go out and actually harass places to see if they were hiring.

I dropped off 12 resumes, but found one place that needed someone quick. I hand them my resume but they hand me an application. "You have to fill this out". I tell them I'll be back in an hour. As I'm walking home I see a 7-11 and my first thought is "Maybe I should get just a little beer, so this application looks good. Plus, if I get an interview I"ll be nice and relaxed.". I started walking to the store when it hit me "what am I doing?".

I've been trying to practice AVRT and in this situation it helped me realize that I really didn't want a drink, my AV was just giving me excuses to drink. 1) If you hand in a sloppy application they won't take you seriously. 2) You will be more relaxed and people will like you. I stopped for a second and thought to myself. I could just hand them my resume too. It has a lot of information on it and they might just look that over, and I'm a likable guy. I've done plenty of interviews dead sober. I don't need a buzz to get a job. So I walked on home with no booze, filled out the application, turned it in with my resume. Manager wasn't even there.

I'm glad I didn't drink. Thinking about it now I would have walked by that same 7-11 and gotten more because its getting late to be dropping off applications and well, I have nothing to do. It just amazes me how the subconscious can create excuses to drink at times. I'm drinking right now.... a Gatorade. And I don't have to feel bad about that.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you didn't give in and drink. Good luck with the job.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay!!! Here's to crappy handwriting lol. Mine is very bad as well but guess what... got a new job last week and starting Monday whoohoo!! Just take your time with it and it will look passable. (put see resume where you can haha!! Little trick.

The beast thought he had you for a moment. Now don't you feel glad you kicked his azz!!!