Notices

Day 20 and complexion has gone to pot

Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 20 and complexion has gone to pot

Been lurking here for a while, taking comfort in people's stories and the support that is given on here.

Decided to go cold turkey earlier this year, fed up with looking like a red faced bloated blimp. I never really felt any ill effects from alcohol, but for sure it doesn't like me. I had an operation a year ago and routine blood tests showed some high levels of something to do with my liver. Hopefully this is now getting better, am terrified of going back to the doc for any reason in case he wants more blood tests.

I'm reading that your skin should improve, mine looked a little better for a while but the last 4 or 5 days it's looking awful, spots appearing everywhere. I have dreadful veins on my nose (not surprising after 25 years of heavy drinking) that look worse than ever before. Am I going to improve from this hell, because this is really getting me down.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations on 20 days. This is not a medical advice forum so I'd suggest seeing a doctor for med info.
Often when we stop drinking there are parts of our battered bodies that do go into repair mode. After 25 years of heavy drinking I would not expect any overnight fixes as alcohol is not a health drink. There is a word most hate, it takes TIME. Over the years I've seen many thousands "miracles" happen to people who stopped drinking. We are still alive so that's one!

BE WELL
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was covered in pimples at about 2 weeks sober and this seems to be really common with people quitting drinking. My skin is the best it's ever been after 3 months and all the redness and puffiness has completely gone. My guess is the spots will clear up in time and your skin will improve immensely.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Phips. My skin went through a 'wonky' period, more or less at the time you're at. It does get better
Old 01-31-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks folks.
Not that it's driving me to drink, but I'm feeling upset that all my good intentions don't seem to be worth it right now.

I'm determined to get healthy and stay sober, but I'll still avoid the Doc for a few more months if I can.

Clear skin at 3 months sounds great - will just fit in with my daughter's wedding in April.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phips View Post

Am I going to improve from this hell, because this is really getting me down.
a good start on sobriety
but let's remember that you have only 20 days
much more will be reveled with more sober time
and as I have said around here before
99 % of the ones who sober up look much better within a few months
some actually look super fine in a year of two

to be honest
a follow up doctors appointment for you may be of most importance

Mountainman
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it's all so new to adjust to. A reason I continued to drink was my fear of the unknown which is part of my ism and doesn't go away at the snap of fingers, but it does get better.

BE WELL
Old 01-31-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Give yourself time. It could be all the toxins fighting their way out in all directions. I still get spotty now from time to time if I eat badly etc. I would check with your doctor though, and don't be afraid, the only way is up now!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Wait for 90 days.....or see a doctor if you are that concerned!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks ... I will wait ... I know its a bit head-in-the-sand about not going to the Doctors, but I really want to look like I'm committed to recovery before I have to go in.

Thank goodness for make-up!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my skin got worse after quitting and then got better. It seems to be rather common. If it doesn't clear and you get concerned, see the doctor.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phips View Post

I have dreadful veins on my nose (not surprising after 25 years of heavy drinking) that look worse than ever before.
your doctor may prescribe some cream so as to help with this

MB
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I commented on a thread like this one recently. It was weird because I commented "Maybe it's allergies, or the dry air.". Then two days later- it happened to me! LOL I'm farther along, so I figured I was out of the woods on that one. NOPE.

My issue is clearing up. I've been making an effort to drink a lot more water. It seems like it would be a pretty natural response- once the body starts to function better and maybe even shed some L.B.'s- that it would purge stored up toxins and cause issues with the pores. That's not meant as any medical advice- just pondering!

Some cosmetic advice, which as a lady I am completely qualified to give :-)... Try some visene on the vessels and see if that reduces their appearance. You can soak a small piece of tissue with it and apply it to the area for a few minutes. That may help reduce the redness.

Hope that helps! Congrats on 20 days. :-)
Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi phips. Our bodies wonder what's going on not giving them their dowse of alcohol. So many changes happen once we stop over time, and yes definitely for the better.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more time to heal and repair your body. It will get better.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Phips, 20 days is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Rootin for ya.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am not sure where you live, but the weather can also be awful for your skin. My husband gets big dry patches on his face during winter that look like red sores sort of. We were advised to treat with Vitamin E oil which we found at GNC and a good moisturizer. As long as he does that it is good.

Also...you mentioned your liver. Your looks are not your only motivation. I am sure your liver is doing the happy dance!

Give yourself time. Hang in there, you are doing great!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I'm feeling a lot happier
Old 02-21-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Forgive me for dragging up an old thread - but does anyone have any experience on how long this problem will list - I'm now on day 42 and have had nearly 4 weeks of breakouts all over my face. I'm menopausal too, horrid mood-swings, and along with trying to diet as well, I'm feeling pretty down in the dumps. I either want to reach for chocolate or vodka to attempt to feel better, and neither is good for me.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am glad you bumped this, I am on day 9 and yesterday I had the biggest spot on my face. Was really painful, and today I have noticed more spots. I have never suffered from spots etc before. I put it down to shaving more regularly now I am sober.. I never would have put it down to detox.