Notices

Struggling with rehab

Old 02-07-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I was discharged yesterday after a 3 week stay in rehab and today also marks 3 weeks of sobriety.

I spent most of yesterday evening crying, as I made some lovely friends in there, and I will miss one woman in particular very much. She lives about 15 miles from me though, so we have swapped numbers and agreed to meet up. The other reason is that I am scared. I went to Tesco to buy some herbal tea as I had a panic attack sitting on my partner's bed when I got home and hoped it would calm me down. I found paying for my stuff really hard, as everyone in the queue had wine, and I wonder how I will cope with all the temptation around me. But I have to accept that I have an illness, the world won't stop for me and I have to take baby steps. I hope it will become easier with time.

It is good that I wasn't just left to get on with it, at least. I have an aftercare plan which consists of returning to the centre for weekly therapy and a list of AA meetings in my local area. I like the idea of meeting people in the same boat again, as once you leave rehab, you lose that safety net (also I can see that red 1 month sobriety chip within my grasp!). One of the guest speakers in the past also suffered from bad anxiety like myself and I decided to share my experiences, even though it is scary for me to speak in a large group.

I have a doctor's appointment booked for next week, so that I can hopefully address the anxiety better.

Thank you for the suggestion, Oak. I did leave the room the other day and got pulled aside for it, but focusing on your feet etc. does work for me, so I shall practice that (like how heavy they feel against the ground, if there is any warmth, etc.). I also have a log cabin visualisation exercise I am going to try :-).

It feels weird waking up this morning, even though I have lived here for ages. I think I will try and get myself for some fresh air.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Wendolene

D