Notices

How to prepare for detox

Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ppl

How to prepare for detox

Hey,

So I've been drinking all day, all of past night and started early that day. This is an exception, though a sign it's gotten out of hand. Actually, there were many more signs along the road, but I didn't pay attention to them.

Tomorrow I will quit. The doctor is in my phone if needed and in case of a medical emergency, I'll be fine.

But the idea of quitting after all this alcoholism... I feel relieved, happy, but also anxiety. And this anxiety drives me to do it right.

So how do you prepare for detox? What do you have to have at your home? What are the signs to look out for regarding medical issues?

In all, what is the "detox-kit" you need to have? I can go out tonight and get stuff, and also tomorrow before the moment I would usually drink. I can get anything. The stores are conveniently close.

I know, no medical advice here. And I agree.

But aside from that, what do I need to get? ORS? Certain foods? Anything?

I would love some input here.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Best thing to do is discuss it with your doctor and ask them for medicine to help you get safely thru the w/d.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I would suggest at a minimum having another person around to dial 911 for you if necessary.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

With the new health care act in place which means I wouldn't be left out in the cold for it showing up on my medical history, I would absolutely take advantage of being able to call my Dr first. They can prescribe you medication that would help more than anything around the house. They could also tell you if you should detox somewhere safer than home.

For foods, I always have protein shakes around the house, ginger root (tea, Trader Joes sells gummies, the pickled stuff you can get at Japanese restaurants is always a favorite of mine) is good for nausea, water, and vitamins... Although you CAN take too many vitamins so be careful.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ppl

Originally Posted by Hearts View Post
With the new health care act in place which means I wouldn't be left out in the cold for it showing up on my medical history, I would absolutely take advantage of being able to call my Dr first. They can prescribe you medication that would help more than anything around the house. They could also tell you if you should detox somewhere safer than home.

For foods, I always have protein shakes around the house, ginger root (tea, Trader Joes sells gummies, the pickled stuff you can get at Japanese restaurants is always a favorite of mine) is good for nausea, water, and vitamins... Although you CAN take too many vitamins so be careful.
I know about the too many vitamins. I'm practically and expert on it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately in my country health care is both affordable, illegal to not have and they will help anyone. And if, for some reason, you spend outside of your insurance, there will be some "payment plan". Which means that if you can't reasonably pay it, it's gone. Poof.

Come live here and you'll always be fine. Even junkies picked up from the street, overdosing, are taken in and helped. And even people on the streets get a reasonable income from the government. What keeps them on the streets are substance problems. For which there is help, for free. Good quality help by the best of the best, And then there's help to find a home. There's help for everything.

That's why to begin with, you don't see many bums. And secondly, I don't give them anything. The government has everything in place to help you build up a life. Heck, they even help you get a job, no matter your background.

Ok, thanks for your advice. A lot.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do call your doctor first. I was able to do a medical detox at home with the aid of some Librium. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ppl

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
Do call your doctor first. I was able to do a medical detox at home with the aid of some Librium. Good luck.
Thanks. At the first sign of trouble, I will call my doc. The past few years I've had OCD, obsessively looking for info on health.

I have prescription Valiums in high doses. I can take them as needed. This is completely against anything I'd recommend anyone, but I know what I'm doing. Last time my mom was in the hospital the doctors were wrong twice, while I had already figured it out.

So I know the warning signs. I know the signs leading up to the warning signs. I know my situation and know what to expect and how to react. I've been right about things more often than all the docs I've seen.

That said, even still, what I'm doing is stupid. I should call a doctor right now. Like anyone should.

I just don't care if I die (deeper issues alert!). I will do anything to stay alive. But if I die, so be it.

DO NOT FOLLOW MY ADVICE! IT'S STUPID AND I'LL DO IT ANYWAY. DO WHAT IS RIGHT!!!

There. And I mean it.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I couldnt stop drinking water- and know it was what my body needed- also teas- decaf- helped. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ppl

Originally Posted by liberated View Post
I couldnt stop drinking water- and know it was what my body needed- also teas- decaf- helped. Good luck!
Ever heard of water poisoning? Too much can actually kill you. Look it up.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh ppl... There isn't a way I'd ever WANT to die but I know during alcohol withdrawal is totally NOT it. Part of what calms me down during it is knowing that I won't die and will get through it.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ppl

Originally Posted by Hearts View Post
Oh ppl... There isn't a way I'd ever WANT to die but I know during alcohol withdrawal is totally NOT it. Part of what calms me down during it is knowing that I won't die and will get through it.
Personally, I don't care if I die. It seems like a relief even. I've almost died thrice before, and I was sure I was going to. THAT is the moment to see if your religious beliefs hold up btw. I was never religious, a total atheist, so the death-moment held no secrets or any stunning insights.

If you do believe, I respect you fully. But when you know you're going to die, nothing stands in the way. You might have comforted yourself with stories of an afterlife, but when you die, the truth of what you truly believe comes out.

I was happy to survive those instances.