Notices

Helpful diversion

Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helpful diversion

Had a stressful time at work yesterday. Afterwards I had the sudden urge to drink. I've had strong urges before, daily really. But this time it rocked me and I took note and watched it. I was surprised at how strong and frankly overwhelming it was. In an instant. I basically couldn't give a crap about sobriety.

Somehow I pulled myself away for about an hour and busied myself with something else. I told myself I would think about drinking later, just had to get this other thing done.

Then the urge lessened, but didn't go away. I went to the store and bought a half gallon of ice cream and rented bad grandpa from redbox.

Wow. A funny movie and ice cream killed the urge and it was gone for good for the rest of the night.

So maybe waiting the urges out, diverting the attention for a while, is helpful. I've read about urge surfing. Maybe something to it. The urges do seem to pass. Just need a diversion during the urge.

The funny movie also did wonders. OMG that movie is hilarious.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great post. Very helpful xxxxxx
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The cravings to drink pass in time. You'll notice that with more sober time the cravings will diminish until they're gone.