Notices

Euphoria in Early Recovery - Anyone???

Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Euphoria in Early Recovery - Anyone???

So I was running some errands today, and all of a sudden I couldn’t stop….smiling! Like crazy, ear-to-ear grin smiling. I was walking through the mall and people started staring, so I pulled out my phone as if I were laughing at a text message.

Then, all of a sudden, BAM! I was hit by an intense jolt of absolute euphoria. The only thing I can compare it to is an extreme chemical high. My spine was tingling, my chest felt like it was rising up toward the sky, I felt as though I were walking on marshmallows, and my legs got all wobbly. I expected it to pass quickly, but this lasted for a full 10 minutes or so.

I must have looked like I was tripping with my goofy grin, stumbling along, giggling like a kid when salespeople asked if they could help me… It would have been embarrassing if I hadn’t been so wildly happy.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don’t know if it was some super-concentrated version of a pink cloud, or if my brain just decided to reward me with an enormous hit of dopamine for reaching 4 weeks. (Or maybe, as a friend said, "Dude, you're vegan, you just need to eat some bacon.")

In any case, if this becomes a regular occurrence, sobriety will be a cakewalk!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember feeling absolute euphoria early in recovery. It did feel like a 'high'. It didn't last tho. I settled down into a more 'even' path without the constant highs and lows.

Oh yes, congrats on reaching four weeks sober!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am at 26 days and have found myself very happy and laughing more. Not as extreme as you describe, but more enjoying life, my family, joking more, and smiling lots more. I have an immense sense of gratitude. Can't complain, I love it :o)

Congratulations on 4 weeks!!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

8+ years in and I still get it happenin.
not there today, which is ok. I had bacon for breakfast.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did not experience euphoria or a 'pink cloud'. I would have liked to, but I had too much guilt and shame on my shoulders at the time. And, it worked out well really, because my mood improved slowly but surely.

I hope you continue to feel good!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I experienced it previously but like Anna not this time.

It feels churlish to even mention, but I won't lie to you - you won't always feel this good Brad...there are good days and bad ones in recovery, just as life...

but I'm really glad you had a good day and I hope you have many more

D
Old 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Aw, Dee, say it ain't so! Well, that's what my stockpile of 1/2 kilo chocolate bars is for.

(Seriously, though, I've been tearing through those things at an alarming rate...)
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brad, whatever it was, I am envious! It sounds lovely! Congratulations on 4 weeks.

Dee, excellent use of the word "churlish". Such a great word!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Got it going on on over here on day 5 but due to the insomnia that's creeped in, what used to be my hot pink cloud is more pastel pink tonight.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ah, I just wrote about this... I hope that's not what I felt today. I remember being a happy person when I was younger, I was hoping it was just that coming back. Don't normal people just get random highs of happiness, too?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

While reading your OP, I got a contact high from which I am still smiling. I'm afraid that visiting this thread might become habit forming, so I am making a big plan as I type.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

I had that on and off in the first six months or so. More often it was a profound feeling of contentment, often only a few minutes. I had waves of sadness too. At times i cracked the sh$ts somwhat unexpectedly ( this had been happpening when drinking too- as had periods of tearfulness). In retrospect i think my emotional system had to learn to work properly again, it took time.

Overall i am now calmer under pressure and very stable. i am grateful and thankful but my moods are now normal again.