Notices

AA meetings

Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings

I went to a new AA meeting (new as in new to me, the group has been around for a long time) yesterday afternoon. I really needed to go to a meeting. I kind of feel more serene and happier after I go to an AA meeting. This one was SO different from the 2 meetings I go to that are closer to my house. It was very small (6 people plus me) and one woman was asleep and another was reading a book. I wanted to share but I felt kind of like an intruder. It was not a bad meeting. I did not feel uncomfortable being there. I just felt like I shouldn't share.

For those of you who go to a lot of different meetings, do they each have their own sort of personality?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2bhappier View Post

For those of you who go to a lot of different meetings, do they each have their own sort of personality?
Absolutely! I think it can be compared to different families, no two the same.
I personally like a meeting of 10 -15 but there are none like that in my area. Years ago I started one with that in mind and the first meeting had about 10 people that came in a snowstorm. after that it stayed around 30-40 each week.
I had to accept the things I cannot change.

BE WELL
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It's nice to have options on a lot of meetings. I can go to a different meeting here and unless I go out of town aways, it's usually the same people. Sometimes it's the location and perhaps time that makes a meeting more favorable then Others as well.
AA is much like any other group. Some people you will like and often do activities outside AA with. That's what I enjoy most is finding like minded people to share interests with besides a meeting.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Why not try several meetings and see which one suits you the most. Providing you dont have a negative experience, you will glue to some more than others, there the ones you focus on.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do really like AA. I find that I am more content in being sober and have more of a connection with the world when I can get to a meeting. Does that make sense? I am not a religious person (although I wish I were!) but no one has pushed anything at all religious on me. Mostly they've all been warm and welcoming which is very wonderful. I just wish we had more of them where I live. The 2 meetings I usually go to are great but they are an hour away and they are the closest to me. Thankfully we have SR!

But really, does it matter if someone goes to AA or not as long as they are sober? I ask because I was talking to a man at the gym and he told me that he just suddenly stopped drinking over 20 years ago because he was an alcoholic. I asked if he went to AA and he said no, he never did anything other than not drink. It doesn't seem to be that easy for me!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heh, 2B,

Different as we all are on a same thread. I've been to three meetings now here in a new area and all were very different. Do get a brochure of all the meetings near to you at the next meeting you attend. In it, it lists the kinds of meetings, (example: Big book, Beginners, Friendship etc.) they all offer a bit of a different approach keeping in mind it is to help the alcoholic. I think any meeting you attend will help you but you can definitely get more out of one meeting from another. Check them all out and decide which one is for you!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like you, I do better when I try to help myself with several modes and support systems.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I went to many of them
and brought my tray of baked goodies
to help ease my anxiety of not knowing
folks. Over time I realized that each
meeting added something unique to
my own recovery and that where ever
I went I learned something new and
useful to my program.

I also realized that we all have something
in common. That we all are learning to stay
sober a day at a time.

That I am just one piece of the mosaic,
puzzle and that im not unique amongst
any of them.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

I am fortunate to be able to get to many meetings,I go to at least 3 different ones each week and they vary enormously.

Try several out and make one your home group.

I must admit I have seen many people asleep in meetings,but never reading a book! Dear me.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I asked if he went to AA and he said no, he never did anything other than not drink. It doesn't seem to be that easy for me!
That's a common realization for those of us that have found AA to be a life-saver. After years of failing to stay sober based on trying to just not drink (or by getting help from doctors, counselors, treatment, rehab, etc.), AA changed it all for me.

I will tell you that after many years in AA, there is another segregation, if you will, between those that can seem to stay sober just by going to meetings and those of us that need to actually take the 12 Steps. I see hundreds of people every year come in and out of AA, failing to stay sober through meeting attendance and the sober support group they offer.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did notice from people sharing that there does seem to be a lot of relapse issues going on. I have certainly tried to stop unsuccessfully many times. I signed up to do a program called "A Year Through the Steps". I am hoping this is helpful. I still haven't found a sponsor.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes.
As mentioned, go to as many meetings as you can for the experience to.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did notice from people sharing that there does seem to be a lot of relapse issues going on. I have certainly tried to stop unsuccessfully many times. I signed up to do a program called "A Year Through the Steps". I am hoping this is helpful. I still haven't found a sponsor.
At my first meeting they did say you should pick a temporary sponsor fairly soon. You can then pick out someone else if you find a better fit with someone else.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I go to several different meetings here and they all have different personalities. There are certain ones that speak to my soul in a way but others that help me in other ways. I went to one where people just talked about what they did that weekend. That one I wasn't a huge fan of but to each his own.