Notices

Confession time...

Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Your story is different from mine..........rewind 5 years however, your story was mine (minus the spirits). My poison is beer, or wine for a while....."nursing beer" seems a crime for me!!! It gets worse, belief me! No one ever knew I was drunk.......i'm really short and quite slight, the amount of times people mentioned how amazing it was I never seemed pissed after so many pints of beer.......I took it as a token pride at the time......how wrong I was!!!

Welcome here, there re many wise words spoken here!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ConfessionBear View Post
But right now all I can think is the liquor store near my work opens at 10am and what time can I take a lunch without it looking like it's too early.
You will need to come up with "a plan" to deal with these kinds of obsessive thoughts. Going out for lunch may not be a good idea today. Perhaps consider ordering a sandwich for delivery.

Not to rain on your parade, but from experience I can tell you that these obsessive thoughts about alcohol almost always signal addiction. Coming to terms with the fact that you might not be able to have "a beer or two" any more may be in your best interest.

Nice job pouring out that drink last night. How can you make sure you don't restock the booze on your way home from work today?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

No, I get it. I have a problem. The obsession isn't a secret to me. I know I have that.

Well, I can't. I can't make sure I don't stop on my way home. I already keep looking at the clock. So if 10am is already a hard goal 5pm ins't exactly going to be easier.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hang in there. As you can see from the replies, it took most of us a very, very long time to make the decision to stop for good. And we understand how utterly impossible it seems.

Until it isn't.

What blows me away most now is that I used to think "How will I get through the night without a drink?" and now I'm saying "I will never drink again." It takes a crazy leap of faith. Faith in yourself, faith in those who love you, faith in something bigger than yourself.

You'll get there. We are here for you when you need it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I just hope your plan works for you.

Come back often!

Wishing you well!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Welcome Confessionbear. I totally relate to your first post here in that I really remember how hard it was to jump in and say/confess. Very few knew about my drinking, too. I remember sitting, looking at my first post, thinking, should I do this, should I submit. . .?
I think you are very wise to start this journey of sobriety. Again, welcome to SR. It's a great place for help, support, insight.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I can't. I can't make sure I don't stop on my way home.
This kind of thinking will get you beaten before you start.

The fact is you can.

You can make sure you don't stop on the way home. You can make sure that you don't go out again.

It won't be comfortable and it won't be easy. But it is very achievable.

There's no painless way to get sober, Bear, but you have support here. You're not alone

I still reckon the pain of getting sober is less than the pain caused by drinking.

D
Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

How'd the drive home go CB? Was thinking of you
Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dax501 View Post
How'd the drive home go CB? Was thinking of you
Dax, the quote in your avatar (which is great) reminded me of another I've seen: "Sometimes I wrestle with my demons. Other times we just snuggle."
Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

It was tough, but I made it. I was seriously thinking of your struggles, too, Dax. And I thought to myself, just driving past the place rather than pulling in? That's nothing. I can do that. I got home, Watched a couple episodes of a TV show I'm trying to catch up on, and went to bed early. The weekend's upon us. But I actually find it easier to avoid this during the weekend. So I'm glad that's coming. Thanks for checking in with me!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good work, CB!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yay! I'm so glad you drove past. I too had to decide to drive away from the liquor store today (posted about it in the January group). And it was all the stories and support and successes I read about at SR that made me drive the other direction.

Tomorrow I'm packing up my twins to drive 6hrs to visit family. That'll be a test, my mother & I have an... interesting relationship lol!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you CB - we all know how hard it is. Getting over that hurdle was great.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome ConfessionBear! Sounds like you're ready to make some steps to rid yourself of this addiction. You may never be able to go back to having one or two beers casually, but that's okay. The things you will be able to do instead will be more than worth the trade. I avoided quitting for years because I was afraid of the word "never" and I don't wish that for anyone.

I have a very good friend who has a very similar pattern to her drinking as to what you describe. She is in complete denial, and seems shocked when we tell her we can tell when she's drinking. People think if they drink vodka that you can't smell it. I used to think that too. Not true-it has a very distinctive odor coming out of your pores. She drinks at work too, and messes up, and thinks she gets away with it (people don't confront her. They just don't want to embarrass her because she is well liked) but everyone knows what's really going on. The physical stuff is what finally brought it all out in the open. She's had about 12 trips to the ER in the last year. Now, they won't even admit her because it's alcohol related and she won't stop so there's nothing they can do.
Please don't let this be your story too.

The good news is we think she has stopped for the last week. She already looks better, and is back to her "old self" even after this short a time. I'm so hoping this last scare was an eye opener for her and she'll be able to turn it around-it has been a very scary year.

Try not to think real far ahead-just get through the hour, or the ten minutes, or even the minute. Ride out the craving. Plan ahead if you know it's going to be a tempting occasion though, plan how you're going to get through it sober...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome ConfessionBear (Are you a Redditor?). I guess I can't speak from much of a position of authority, having a recent relapse, however, these people do speak the truth. I quit cold turkey (my second attempt) a couple of months ago. I made it 37 days with nary a drop. I had convinced myself that I really didn't have a problem after all. On Christmas this year my wife asked if I'd like to have a glass of wine to celebrate (she knew I had quit). This is a 20 year tradition for us so I said fine. I had that one glass and all was well. Well, after that night I "proved" that I could drink moderately, no problem. Shortly after that, I took a few days of leave from work (to spend time with family) and I drank progressively more every day, culminating in a serious bender (perhaps my tolerance had dropped or something?) through which I am currently suffering a 3rd day of the most terrible withdrawal I have ever known.

It took a few weeks of abstinence followed by relapse to convince myself that I have a problem with alcohol and I simply cannot drink. Ever. But the fact that I have a problem is very, very obvious. Perhaps my recent experience will help convince you that maybe any drinking for you might be bad. Don't be me.

Also, don't be afraid of "never". It sounds scary and permanent but in the context of poisoning your body such a concept shouldn't be feared. I wrestle with this too.

One of these days I'm going to sit down and write out a list of all the stupid/embarrassing things I have done as the result of alcohol, and watch the list progressively grow as I remember new ones. I suspect it will be a massive tome.

Good luck ConfessionBear. This is a great place for support from wise people who have "been there and done that."
Old 02-01-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haveaproblem View Post
Welcome ConfessionBear (Are you a Redditor?). I guess I can't speak from much of a position of authority, having a recent relapse, however, these people do speak the truth. I quit cold turkey (my second attempt) a couple of months ago. I made it 37 days with nary a drop. I had convinced myself that I really didn't have a problem after all. On Christmas this year my wife asked if I'd like to have a glass of wine to celebrate (she knew I had quit). This is a 20 year tradition for us so I said fine. I had that one glass and all was well. Well, after that night I "proved" that I could drink moderately, no problem. Shortly after that, I took a few days of leave from work (to spend time with family) and I drank progressively more every day, culminating in a serious bender (perhaps my tolerance had dropped or something?) through which I am currently suffering a 3rd day of the most terrible withdrawal I have ever known.

It took a few weeks of abstinence followed by relapse to convince myself that I have a problem with alcohol and I simply cannot drink. Ever. But the fact that I have a problem is very, very obvious. Perhaps my recent experience will help convince you that maybe any drinking for you might be bad. Don't be me.

Also, don't be afraid of "never". It sounds scary and permanent but in the context of poisoning your body such a concept shouldn't be feared. I wrestle with this too.

One of these days I'm going to sit down and write out a list of all the stupid/embarrassing things I have done as the result of alcohol, and watch the list progressively grow as I remember new ones. I suspect it will be a massive tome.

Good luck ConfessionBear. This is a great place for support from wise people who have "been there and done that."
This was exactly what happened to me as well.
I tried drinking in moderation nearly two years after stopping cold turkey with relatively little problem.
Seemed fine, seemed fine, but by week two I had tied one on. I also had the worst withdrawal ever, and realized that my body was done with booze even if I mentally still wanted it.

"Never" seemed like a long time when I first stopped, but now it doesn't.
Just another thing like being allergic to some drug. Now I look forward to waking up sober and knowing I am in control of my actions.
No lying, no hiding, no worry about alcohol anymore. It is actually extremely liberating--you can do this if you want it.

The view is terrific from this side, and I say that after nearly 35 years of drinking before quitting. I just wish I had done it earlier.
I wish you a happy journey CB. It doesn't seem happy all the time, but really it does get that way if you don't give up.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
This was exactly what happened to me as well.
I tried drinking in moderation nearly two years after stopping cold turkey with relatively little problem.
Seemed fine, seemed fine, but by week two I had tied one on. I also had the worst withdrawal ever, and realized that my body was done with booze even if I mentally still wanted it.

"Never" seemed like a long time when I first stopped, but now it doesn't.
Just another thing like being allergic to some drug. Now I look forward to waking up sober and knowing I am in control of my actions.
No lying, no hiding, no worry about alcohol anymore. It is actually extremely liberating--you can do this if you want it.

The view is terrific from this side, and I say that after nearly 35 years of drinking before quitting. I just wish I had done it earlier.
I wish you a happy journey CB. It doesn't seem happy all the time, but really it does get that way if you don't give up.
35 years of drinking here, too. I'd tried numerous times to quit, to moderate, to have just one, to fool myself. It just doesn't work. At least not for long. I now find myself once again quitting and pray and hope that this time it sticks because it gets really old after so many years. I've hurt not only myself but those I love. This is not a movie but real life and once we alcoholics figure that out, we can change the ending to a better and good one. Hope you can join us in trying.

From Day 19
Old 02-01-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
This is not a movie but real life and once we alcoholics figure that out, we can change the ending to a better and good one. Hope you can join us in trying.

From Day 19
So true and well-said.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I recognized some things in your original post and sent you a PM. Hope all is well man.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hope all is well CB. We are here for you..stay in touch over the weekend.