Notices

new and hopeful

Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and hopeful

I've been wanting to quit drinking for awhile now but I'm afraid what I will do for fun without it. Had such a bad hangover from the weekend drinking Friday and Saturday night that I called in to work sick today. I'm a weekend binge drinker and I just want to quit. I can't stop at two or three drinks. When I go it's until the bar closes and the drinks run out at home. I feel like it's time for me to stop and just looking for some support. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome justmeagainst

Sober folks have fun too, believe me. I don't think anyone would be here if that wasn't true.

It takes some re-educating tho - for years I equated fun with opening a bottle. You'll find like I did there's a world of fun out there that doesn't centre around alcohol

D
Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya justmeagainst

You've come to the right place .you will find a lot of support here , from so many people .
Things will get so much better .

Keep posting , glad you joined xx
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Justmeagainst xxxxx
Old 01-28-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since I've quit I find fun in everything. In things I used to dread like grocery shopping or relating on a real level with other people. My anxiety, after drinking, was so bad I was afraid of people. It's all fun now.
I just thought I was having fun when I was drinking. The lowered inhibitions and over stimulation alcohol gives you makes every thing a merry old time.
Until you stop. Then comes the fear, anxiety and remorse. What fun.

I was a long time binger like you. But those days are long gone. Alcoholism is progressive and in short order, I was drinking whenever I could. Morning, noon and night. It was a waking nightmare.
You're very wise to realize you may have a problem, you can save yourself years of misery if you can stop now.
When I quit, I found new things to do that I enjoy. Even the simplest things are fun through sober eyes and brain.

Welcome to this place you'll find lots of support here and I wish you the best in quiting.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Justmeagainst,

Feeling so bad you have to skip work doesn't really sound like fun to me.

I am struggling with my own drinking right now, but the times I have had the most fun since realizing I have a problem were when I wasn't drinking. It is pretty hard for me to have any fun when I am hungover mentally and physically and ashamed of my actions when drinking.

Good luck to you and keep reading and posting, this site is a great asset.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I said the same thing when I got sober.

Re read what you wrote again , what part about drinking so much you had to call into work sick are you going to miss?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudging the Road

Welcome to SR! There's lotsa things you can do for fun that don't involve drinking. Look around! There's reading, libraries, museums, sport events, movies, nature, volunteer opportunities, HOBBIES! Learn something!

Drinking, as you know, can be very isolating, even in groups. It is hard to imagine "what's fun?" when you have to move out beyond the inner theater of your mind.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll find a lot of support here for stopping drinking. Lots of good info too. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.