Notices

Never realized!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mr B

Never realized!

Wow, is all I can say these days as I'm in shock!

I've never realized on how much this disease and alcohol just takes lives! I knew that it happened heard about it from time to time but never like this!

In the past two weeks I've heard how 10 - 11 people talk about how they new someone who has just past from this disease! I too found out that I friend who I was in treatment past away! I'm in shock that so many people die everyday from alcohol!!! It's very sad to me!

What really sucks too is the fact that I didn't ever really see this or hear about it to much until I sobered up and starting letting people in my life and going to AA!

This is very real people! I plan on from this day forward to be sure to be a phone call away, or listen to anyone who need an ear or someone to talk too!!!! It is so true that us alcoholics need each other to stay sober!!!!

Like they say in the military never leave a man down! My goal is to never leave an alcoholic down if they are wanting help!!!

I thankful for another day to go on and sober, as well as I'm thankful for all of you here on the site and in the fellowship!

DBJ
Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're all on this journey together.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep and I think there needs to be more awareness of the seriousness of the disease. Alcohol is so socially accepted these days that the risks are often not mentioned. Specifically long term use! I was/am shocked too
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I agree, I drank most of my adult life and consider myself fairly well read. I always had known you could destroy your liver, and obviously drinking and driving accidents come into play, but didn't make the other connections. I didn't understand about how progressive it is, and how many deaths are directly related to alcoholism. I think it's sad that it took recovery to find all of this out, decades later.

There need to be more PSAs about drinking. We all know the smoking and drug ones by heart. Why are the dangers of alcohol kept so hidden? Why is it still so celebrated by the media?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr B

I totally agree with everyone! I'm actually looking into getting more awareness out there! I'll keep the family here on the site posted!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is a very sad and serious disease.