Notices

Mind Altering Crave

Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mind Altering Crave

Only 7 days sober, but still feeling the need to have something mind altering at some point in the day.
I love the clear headed feeling I have now but on the other hand, I crave some sort of "something" just to...... don't know what, numb, or alter my brain slightly.
I feel like I should be in that "pink cloud" faze when you first stop drinking. I'm not really craving a drink, just MISSING that fuzzy/highish feeling I guess.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you know what is a pretty cool mind-alterer? Distance running.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, mind-altering for me has been walking/hiking.

You're doing great, just be patient with yourself.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A week a awesome!

Originally Posted by LolaR View Post
I crave some sort of "something" just to...... don't know what, numb, or alter my brain slightly.
Understand. Chasing the "high" is what kept me addicted for my entire adult life, 35 years.

Life really is better clean and sober. Give it some time.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What you're describing is EXACTLY what addiction is at the core. Your craving something to fill a void. You've taught yourself the place of numb is whats comfortable. Running absolutely will fill that void as well as time and relearning to do things with out associating that "checked out" feeling.

Congratulations on 1 week, it will keep getting better.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

To be fair, a lot of rehab programs prescribe valium or sedatives. My first two weeks of detox were really rough this time. I took valerian root to zone out and help with anxiety. At about ten days I stopped. I'm prescribed pain meds that I try to avoid but confess taking it a couple of times early on to help sleep (pain with anxiety and insomnia was pushing me over the edge). Happy to say I'm a month sober and haven't used valerian or meds in a couple of weeks. The transition is hard. I figured if detox centers use meds to help detox... The key is making it temporary. It worked for me.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I missed the buzz at a week too Leana - later on you'll see it in it's proper perspective, I promise.

D
Old 01-27-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lola, if it's the high/buzz that you are missing and otherwise feel OK (not much anxiety, depression, etc), I would say ditto on the exercise, especially if you have not been working out recently. I just started last weekend and did something mild (like 15-20 mins cardio, one day a yoga class) every day. I never exercised routinely in my life except a year of long distance running when I was 18... so I guess I'm getting "high" on novelty as well Speaking of which, if you are a kind of person who likes to explore and learn new things (I am!), really recommend that now in early sobriety.

I agree with everyone who suggested this is a craving to fill a void that was previously filled with alcohol/drugs. For now I try to fill it with mild workout, SR, new friends and talking to people around me more, lots of reading (OK that I've always done so nothing new), and will sign up to a philosophy class that I liked a couple years ago, they have many different kinds in the school. Basically, stuff I am interested in, enjoy, and find rewarding.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Walking has helped me
Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on day 10 and I still feel the exact same way you do. In fact, I stopped at the grocery store after work and was so tempted by the wine aisle. I'm not even sure I have ever been in that store without buying wine. BUT I did it.

I am planning on going to the gym tonight. It seem sot really help A LOT.

If you have great music on and you get into a zone, it can really feel awesome.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7 also and felt the same way today, kept busy and it has passed. Got to find something else to focus on.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

I am on day 4 and I have the same issue. I miss that high feeling. I have been drinking Kava Tea to help with that though. It's an herbal sedative like valerian root, but not nearly as strong. They sell it in the grocery store as Stress Relief Tea, and I am only drinking one or 2 cups a day, so I am not overdoing it. *shrug* I will kick that habit to in due time I am sure lol.