Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When you quit was if after a planned last drink or in the moment?

Notices
View Poll Results: When you quit was it after a planned last hurrah or in the moment?
Quit after a planned last evening or drink
19.63%
Quit unplanned and in the moment
80.37%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

When you quit was if after a planned last drink or in the moment?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Afloatsober

Wow , that was me ....I understand the word surrender now ..I just gave up , could not do it any more
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have started to respond to this question a few times, but each time I end up writing a damn novel. Why is this such a hard question to answer? No, I didn't plan my last drink, but quitting had been on my mind since I was 12 years old. . .

I like what Nonesensical said
Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I quit after a daytime binge at a party. I blacked out at 4 in the afternoon, came out of my blackout during intense vomiting that lasted for hrs. All the while my kids were home and I was drunk, vomiting, and passed out.

I've been sober 8 months and have been going through some difficult times and actually want to drink right now. My mind still tells me I can handle it, but I know I can't.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Little bit of both. Planned on quitting every morning after drinking. That plan didn't work very well for me. So I lurked around here for awhile. Then I started considering it. I pondered it. I picked a date. Feb 14 2013. I did my best to just do it.

Then after finishing my second glass of wine 2 weeks after quitting. I got in my car and drove home and on the drive home I knew I was done. I was just done. I don't know why I felt that way. I just did. The next day was March 1 2013.

My last drink was nothing special.

None of them were. They never were. I've never looked at a drink the same way again.
I was done.

But, I'm sure damn glad I quit lurking and joined the March 2013 class.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I had also planned after New Year's. And then once I got going in Jan. I thought to myself that that was it, I really really wasn't able to quit and that I'd probably end up dying from alcohol because it was so important to me. And then that day happened. most important day in years.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Nothing planned. I had one hangover too many - I had one every day - I was tired of being so sick all the time and wasting my life.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I planned my last drink but it wasn't planned out well ahead. During an especially bad stretch of drinking (lots of hangovers, bad days at work, etc) I started to understand that I was rapidly approaching the point where I'd have to decide which I wanted to do- drink or live. It was getting to the point where I'd bring home my daily "fix" but postpone actually drinking it as long as I could. A part of me was going to see if I could skip even a single day.

Somehow I stumbled upoin SR as I was searching for information on quitting drinking. I happened upon AVRT at the same time. I was already into my box of wine but I decided this would be the last box. Right there I decided that since I had the next day off I'd get epically wasted but then drink no more.

I drained that whole 3 liter box of wine, 4 bottles worth, in one night. Had about the worst hangover I can ever remember having. But it was indeed the last time I drank. That was almost 16 months ago.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I too remember that feeling of I've had enough..funny how several experienced that.iI use to have that big box on tap in my ref. 4pm was my time to shin...one of the hardest things in the first few months has been what to do with that 4 pm void....I reached 5mo last week and seemed to have turned a corner on that. Feeling like a tall glass of white grape jc with cranberry jc on the rocks is quite tasty and the best thing is I can have as much as I want and drink it as fast as I want...simply pleasure for me!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Hmm they don't serve alcohol in the drunk tank I spent the night at in lock up.
I guess my real answer it wasn't a planned one
Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Mine was definitely unplanned. I had a very rough week at work and because I wanted to be fresh in the mornings (as I was working long days) I ignorantly chose to just not drink after having been drinking 50 a week for over half a year (for any other newbs on the board I found out I should have at least discussed this with my doctor before quitting drinking).

I started to notice withdrawal symptoms after about a week. Once I got off work I went to the bars and got trashed with some old high school friends Christmas eave. I had a Tom and Jerry opening presents with the family on Christmas morning and a glass of wine with lunch that day.

The withdrawals came back and a bit more intense, and was so scared I haven't drank since (scared of the fact that I had withdrawals, the withdrawals themselves were very mild from what I've read).
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It wasn't planned but I was getting quite scared of my drinking and how out of control it had become so I was trying to find a counsellor and stumbled across SR. Since that moment I found SR I haven't had another drink, the support here is awesome.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Drank the house dry

A rock bottom night left me feeling ashamed and so sick of myself but I knew I wouldn't stop with booze in the house. Finished every drop and now the challenge is to stay away from the liquor store. Arg.